Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » Buying » Volume (price) calculations don't appear trustworthy
Search Search  
icon5.gif  Volume (price) calculations don't appear trustworthy [message #1866] Mon, 03 November 2008 10:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Xcapee  is currently offline Xcapee
Go to all my models
Ok - I have to say that the pricing policy is great - only paying for volume printed. It's just that I don't trust the volume calculations.

I have uploaded a design stage by stage, and the price (volume) calculations don't make any sense.

All prices quoted are in WSF

The first part, an empty tube with 1mm thick walls, ID = 35mm, OD = 37mm and height 23mm costs $4.86 which equates to 2.6 cm^3. This is the correct volume.

Cylinder model
/modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=8122&f=8122_small.jpg

Add a ring of warped text to the top of it, thickness = 1mm, height = 7mm. If it weren't text, but a solid cylinder it would have a volume of 0.8 cm^3. Since it is text, it should be a lot less than that. However the price for my original cylinder plus text ring is now $10.17, or a total of 5.4 cm^3, more than double the volume and cost of the plain cylinder alone.

Cylinder plus text ring
/modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=8112&f=8112_small.jpg

Something funky is going on with the text volume calculation.

It gets worse.

If I add a ring of text around the original cylinder (not on top of it) so that the effect is embossed text raised 0.5mm, that should add much less than 0.4 cm^3 but it adds another 2.8 cm^3 or 2.9 cm^3 (I have two such embossed text rings).

So my final model is being priced at $20.91 when the price should be well less than $10. Probably less than $7.00.

/modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=8120&f=8120_small.jpg

It doesn't really give me much confidence in the pricing for more complex models.

Would anyone care to explain what's going on?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Customer Service Unreliable?
Next Topic:Error when selecting shipping address different to billing address
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.