Home » Support » 3D Design » Drainage Holes: Are they Necessary?
Search Search  
Drainage Holes: Are they Necessary? [message #60450] Sun, 20 January 2013 18:18 UTC Go to previous message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Hey folks,

I've been bouncing an idea around in my head for a little while, ever since I received a pair of earrings I ordered in plastic. They were hollow, with draining holes for the support material. But when I received them, I noticed there was still a huge amount of support material left inside.

Now, I'm not complaining in the slightest. It's an unsightly hole either way, whether there's support material left over or not. But now I'm wondering: is it even necessary to HAVE a drain hole? If support material gets left behind anyway, what's the point of having one? I always assumed it was required to have one, but thinking about the 3D process, plastic models are built up layer by layer, with support material used where necessary. Wouldn't it be possible to have a 100% enclosed inner mesh filled only with support material?

I'm either an idiot for asking, or an idiot for not having known all along that that could be done. Either way, I want to find out exactly why I'm an idiot, so could somebody enlighten me?

Thanks!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Giving my models as perks in indiegogo
Next Topic:Printing problems
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.