Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » General Discussion » Weighing up the costs
Search Search  
Weighing up the costs [message #52176] Tue, 31 July 2012 23:02 UTC
avatar twicx  is currently offline twicx
Go to all my models
Hey folks,
I'm currently looking into getting myself a 3d printer. I'm going into my final year of my Bachelors of Architecture, and our uni doesn't have one. In fact, it doesn't have any sort of 3d machines like CNCs, or laser cutters etc etc. As a side hobby, I customise guitars, and a 3d printer would also be invaluable there.

I'm looking to get as big a build envelope as possible, so the Reprap Mondo seems to fit the requirements, and my budget. However, before I do actually get one, I've a couple of questions. If anyone out there could help me, that would be very appreciated.

First and foremost, realistically, how difficult is this whole project to get set up and get printing? I typically work in Sketchup and/or Rhino, but I've no experience with a 3d printer.

Secondly, fillaments seem to be pretty cheap. From my research, am I correct in guessing that the consumables for 3d printers are cheaper than, for example, a normal ink/laser printer?

Finally, my first semester of my last year is 90% based on a written thesis. As a little side job, I was toying with the idea of printing models for people in other years of my course and charging them. Is this a plausable idea?

Cheers folks,
T

Read Message
Previous Topic:Copyright Question
Next Topic:Sandstone colored models
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.