Home » Community » It arrived! » Oskar's Magic by OSKAR
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Oskar's Magic by OSKAR [message #47303] Sat, 21 April 2012 09:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar Oskar_van_Deventer  is currently offline Oskar_van_Deventer
Go to my shop
Hi Shapeways fans,

Oskar's Magic: a solid 3mm metal rod can slide (almost) effortlessly through the block. How can that be?

The mechanism for this puzzle is related to the ancient Heron's Horse, where the magician slices a sword through the neck of a horse state without the head falling off. However, whereas Heron's mechanism (see page 109) uses rotors, Oskar's mechanism features meshing gears. The result is less friction and a smoother cut.

Watch the YouTube video.
Buy the magic at my Shapeways Shop.
Read more at the Non-Twisty Puzzles Forum.
Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar

index.php?t=getfile&id=16265&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=16266&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=16267&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=16268&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=16269&private=0

[Updated on: Sat, 21 April 2012 09:35 UTC]

Re: Oskar's Magic by OSKAR [message #47332 is a reply to message #47303 ] Sun, 22 April 2012 10:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Very impressive, Oskar!
I did not know the Heron's Horse mechanism either.
This is very instructive.
Thank you for sharing.

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Oskar's Magic by OSKAR [message #47343 is a reply to message #47332 ] Sun, 22 April 2012 16:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Great job, Oskar!! It does look like a magic trick. I guess you could even have up to three rods descending in the gears at the same time. As long as each one stayed in its special slot.

Heron's mechanism with the horse drinking afterwards is amazing! Especially given the state of metallurgy, let alone 3D printing, 2000 years ago.

[Updated on: Mon, 23 April 2012 22:22 UTC]

Previous Topic:Torus knot!
Next Topic:Silver Wheatley bead arrived!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.