Maze-lock cylinders (in WSF)

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 77902_deleted, Aug 9, 2011.

1. 77902_deleted
    77902_deleted Member
    First things first: Kudos for the idea go to Nite69, who created this neat maze lock with fasteners. :)

I understand that the general principle is a time-honored one, so I hope it's okay that I adapted this idea for my purposes. For those I need a whole bunch of them (with a different maze each) and a slightly different form factor, too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The models were created in SketchUp extended with a self-made Ruby script to build the maze around the 'key' based on a few parameters and a text-based representation of the maze itself. (As I've just found out, it's got a bug, too: 'Up' on the maze template goes clockwise on the keys, which is the opposite of what I intended; but fortunately that's not a big deal.)

The most tantalizing question during the wait for the printed models' arrival was whether the clearance between the keys' outer diameter of 8.0 mm (~0.315 in) and the casings' inner diameter of 8.2 mm (~0.323 in) would be sufficient for the keys to easily slide into the casings:

[​IMG]

...and indeed it did:

[​IMG]

The keys easily slide into the casings and turn without effort, all without being too loose. Phew. :cool: (Caveat follows.)

I strongly suspect this only worked out so well because the models' printing direction went along the keys' and casings' major axis, and I wonder if the printer operator chose that printing direction on purpose or if I'm just very fortunate that it happened to be that way.

The little tooth at the opening of each casing (visible on the photographs) was designed with the same clearance, i.e. 0.2 mm (~0.008 in), along the major axis, so I expected it to effortlessly slide through the maze's corridors when turning the key – but it doesn't. It takes a little force to turn the key (which I've opportunistically started to consider a feature). Obviously, this same clearance along the printing direction is barely sufficient for a somewhat tight fit.

Next I'm going to try dyeing these models. I'll report on my experiences in the "post-production techniques" forum...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. 77902_deleted
    77902_deleted Member
    I dyed them, and it worked out quite nicely. :)

By the way: The keys weren't printed inside the casings, of course (the gap would certainly have fused). Here is how they were printed:

[​IMG]