Repair And Update: Error Message Is Incorrect

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Hobbes010, Oct 23, 2023.

1. Hobbes010
    Hobbes010 Well-Known Member
    In my latest order, I included a model that turns out to have issues. So I got an email "Your model "xyz" from order number abc was taken out of production by one of our 3D printing engineers due to design issues.
    To get your model back into production, you can Repair and Update the model yourself or grant permission to Print it Anyway."

So I repaired and updated my model. Then I got a strange error message: the new upload was rejected because it was too large. Apparently the new model cannot be larger than 10% the size of the original. That would make the model unusably small, so the only option I had was to remove this model from my order.

Why does the updated model have to be 1/10 the size of the original?

2. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
    Did they mean "no more that 10% MORE than the original"? i.e.: no more than 110% of the original? This is probably so that the price can remain the same as quoted in the order (MAYBE? I'm just guessing.)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  3. Hobbes010
    That sounds logical. The model had issues with thin walls, so I had to add material to fix that.
    That wasn't how I understood the message though. Of course I forgot to take a screenshot so I can't check now.

4. coelian276
    coelian276 Well-Known Member
    Yes, you are not allowed to add more than 10% to your model. This is to prevent fraud, where someone is uploading and ordering a small (=cheap) model with built-in error, so it will fail on the first try and then replace it with a larger model, to get it for the same cheap price as the original one.

bwterrainforge likes this.
  5. coelian276
    This thing is only 2.6x1.8x1.6mm in total. There are multiple shells that are not connected. Some of them only being 0.01mm thick and just 0.3mm long. That's way too small. Half of the surfaces of the "strings" (Kinase?) are facing the wrong way (inside out). You will need to connect everything and rescale it to a larger size that is larger than the minimum size and each area needs to be thicker than the minimum thickness. Also better use .stl or .obj for upload.

bwterrainforge likes this.
  6. Hobbes010
    I had the same issue again. I've attached a screenshot.

Attached Files:

7. coelian276
    "Sigh" And what do you now expect us to do with that? You repaired a rejected model and the replacement is more than 10% more material, so you got this error. Without the original file and the repaired one we can not tell you what exactly is the problem.

In essence you have 2 options now.
    1. Remove some material to get it below 110% of the original volume. This usually isn't possible as the added material is needed to pass the wall checks.
    2. Cancel the order, reupload the repaired model and then reorder it.

8. Hobbes010
    I expect *Shapeways*, not you, to change the wording of the error message to say what it should be saying.

9. coelian276
    Hehe, Shapeways doesn't read this. And the wording is perfectly fine. It says exactly what it should be.

"You made the replacement model too big (more than 10%). Make it smaller or re-order it (and pay for the extra material that you added)."

10. Hobbes010
    The current message is saying the updated model must be no more than 10% the size of the original model. That should be 110%.

11. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
    Yes, the wording can be interpreted two ways. "No more than 10% of the original model" or an implied, "No more than 10% larger than the original model". The extra word would help to clarify the message, but it is correct as stated if you think about it logically. It could very well be a problem with language translation between the original Shapeways corporate headquarters and English for us 'mareicuns.

12. coelian276
    You are right, there is missing a "larger than" or it needs to be 110%. I stand corrected.