Print It Anyway; Quality Issue For Non-flagged Parts

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by craftsc, Oct 3, 2022.

1. craftsc
    craftsc Member
    Hello

I’m hoping for a better resolution. I had requested reprint of 2 parts associated with a model that arrived defective. My request was rejected for the following reason from the CSR:

“I see that this model was flagged for rejection. When our engineers find any issue with a model, they flag it and no longer inspect the model as it's already clear they cannot successfully print it.
    You have selected Print it anyway, which means you take full responsibility for the model's outcome. If there are any issues with the model, we ship it to you as is.
    Therefore we are not able to reprint the model.”

I understand when I receive a model with Print It Anyway, and the flagged part ends up defective; yes, I understand that’s my issue. The flagged part had was a minute detail. That part, was received without issue.

However, the 2 parts that had “interlocking components” were not flagged. There were no errors. But, they were printed/shipped defective. Print it Anyway, should not negate responsibility to process the entire model in accordance with the design (this model consists of 22 parts). I pay the processing fee for this model (which gets expensive). The engineer should not cease review due to a minor issue on a separate part of the model.

It’s just concerning. These interlocking parts were never flagged. If they were, I would understand the reason for denying reprint of these 2 parts. Even of one of the defective parts, Shapeways shows the axle/chassis assembly to be 1 part (not 2). But, it was printed as 2 parts. That’s a Shapeways error. Not a design error. And if it was flagged, this would be a significant error I would request the designer to modify.

This flagged error:
    269E57CC-D020-457B-8EA5-AA3708A690D3.png

Should not result in the defective prints of these 2 separate parts:
    070280EB-4E2F-41CB-9540-6D7C49BE4EA5.jpeg 12ACB00D-A668-477B-AE35-4F76F969DA22.jpeg ABBE3BDC-4917-4010-9E19-E96ECB1720CA.jpeg

I’m not requesting a reprint of the full model. Just these 2 parts. I’ve placed many orders with Shapeways over last 9 years. I normally don’t encounter issues with reprint requests, even for Print it Anyway, where the defect was not the flagged part.

I appreciate any assistance with this request. If there’s a way to get the parts reprinted, and there’s a compromise to get them reprinted, please let me know.

2. coelian276
    coelian276 Well-Known Member
    If a model consists of multiple parts in one file (22 in your case). The whole file will be flagged as rejected. The pictures they send you doesn't always show every spot that doesn't meet the requirements. If they find one spot they think will make the file unprintable, they stop searching for others. Take your wing nut. They found one that is too thin, made a picture for you and rejected the file. Then they stopped searching. Otherwise, if your model does have more of these nuts, they would need to measure EVERY ONE of them and take a picture from it. Imagine the time of work this means. Your model might have a lot more spots that doesn't work, but there already is one show-stopper, they don't look any further and flag the whole file as "rejected". You can not have any part of a file that you ordered with "print it anyway" reprinted.

3. bwterrainforge
    bwterrainforge Well-Known Member
    Chad Keep in mind Shapeways changes the specs on materials over time. For example the fine detail plastic tan option just had a spec change at the beginning of the year.

Now are you the designer? If so open the model in the 3d tools option. On the resulting page set it to the material you print in. Then select the wall thickness on the left. Its not a perfect tool but its helpful, but it will show you the areas of concern. You will then need to edit the stl usually resize the part or maybe it just needs to be thicker.

No if you are not the designer you will need to contact the designer and hope they are active and they will need to do the above.