Home » Support » 3D Applications » Sculptris
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sculptris [message #47655] Mon, 30 April 2012 10:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar GryphRaptor  is currently offline GryphRaptor
Go to all my models
I'm curious as to the best way to solidify, then hollow out a model built in sculptris. Generally when I've created an object, I've used several spheres, reshaping them as needed to get the look I want. I start the model in Sculptris, then port it over to Hexagon in order to change the size and do tweaks. The main issue comes when I've tried to hollow out an object. Using a wireframe view, I can see the overlapped parts of each sphere I've used in the model. Is there anyway to make the model one solid piece, getting rid of all those internal parts? I've tried several different methods, welding the whole model, or using boolean functions, but can't seem to get a satisfactory results. I'd really like to hollow out some of my models so the prices aren't as high for larger versions.

It should be noted that there doesn't seem to be an issue with using a model straight from Sculptris to Shapeways. I'm guessing that the models are viewed as completely solid masses. I've even tried hollowing out a model in Sculptris, but it's a very awkward process. I've attached an example to show what I'm talking about as far as the wireframes exported from Sculptris. There doesn't seem to be anyway, once I export the model from Sculptris, to choose the different parts of the model seperately. It's all viewed as a single model in Hexagon.
index.php?t=getfile&id=16463&private=0

I do have access to Blender, but the interface on Hexagon is more friendly.

Re: Sculptris [message #47799 is a reply to message #47655 ] Thu, 03 May 2012 08:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Step 1, grab yourself a free copy of NetFabb Basic
Step 2, use NetFabb to convert & save your model to stl format
Step 3, upload the stl to NetFabb Cloud Service - netfabb's cloud service does an excellent job of combing multiple shells into one - download the 'repaired' file.
Step 4, grab yourself a free copy of MeshLab and load in the 'repaired' file.
Step 5, In MeshLab use Filters (menu) -> Remeshing, simplification and reconstruction -> Uniform Mesh Resampling.
Step 6, In the dialogue box, check 'Absolute distance'. Set precision 'world units' to the required fineness of the internal mesh and set Offset 'world units' to your desired wall thickness. Click 'Apply'. Save the resulting generated meshes - there are 2 meshes, and inner and outer skin of your model.
Step 7, load the meshes into your favourite 3D model editor, remove the outer shell, load in your original model and combine/merge/flatten the shells/meshes/layers
Step 8, create a suitable sized tunnel and connect the two meshes.

Job done!
Re: Sculptris [message #79138 is a reply to message #47799 ] Sat, 16 November 2013 14:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mandygot_Bee  is currently offline Mandygot_Bee
Go to all my models
thank you for the explanation! However, I'm stuck on step 6. I don't understand what numbers I have to enter in world units and offset units world. is it a percentage? I want a wall thickness of 5mm. (By the Way Will it be strong enough for a stand stone print?).
And then for the next steps I m not sure to understand how to do it with sculptris? (Sorry but I'm a newbie)
Regards
Re: Sculptris [message #79153 is a reply to message #79138 ] Sat, 16 November 2013 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mandygot_Bee  is currently offline Mandygot_Bee
Go to all my models
I mean sandstone. Will it be strong enough to print it in sandstone with a wall thickness of 5mm?
Re: Sculptris [message #88300 is a reply to message #79153 ] Wed, 23 April 2014 07:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Yes it will be strong enough with a 5 mm wall. Even with the minimum wall of 2 mm it will be strong enough. Keep in mind though that FCS is kind of like ceramics, as in it will probably shatter if one were to drop it from about waist high.

If you cannot get Paul's method to work, I noticed in one of your posts that you use Blender. Blender can do it too with the solidify command.

Then again, I thought I saw you mention Zbrush. Zbrush can do it even with millions of polygons using the DynaMesh create shell command.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Sculptris [message #88301 is a reply to message #88300 ] Wed, 23 April 2014 07:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Oh! I just noticed that this is an old thread! :p

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Sculptris [message #88303 is a reply to message #88301 ] Wed, 23 April 2014 07:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Nothing wrong with a bit of 'thread necromancing' http://www.shapeways.com/forum/images/smiley_icons/icon_wink.gif

Paul

Re: Sculptris [message #88329 is a reply to message #88303 ] Wed, 23 April 2014 16:06 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
:D

Previous Topic:design of dental high vol oral evacuator
Next Topic:2d to 3d - what size ?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.