Home » Community » It arrived! » Bateriaphage Virus Model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Bateriaphage Virus Model [message #44490] Sun, 26 February 2012 05:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar rcshop  is currently offline rcshop
Go to my shop
It came out nicely. Thought the legs might be to thin, but it's just great

The model can be found here:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/486486/bacteriophage_virus_mo del.html?gid=sg125984

http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/486486/photos/photo71334.jpg

Re: Bateriaphage Virus Model [message #44491 is a reply to message #44490 ] Sun, 26 February 2012 05:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar leorolph  is currently offline leorolph
Go to my shop
that is cool..... would look good more natural also.
Re: Bateriaphage Virus Model [message #44493 is a reply to message #44491 ] Sun, 26 February 2012 06:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
What do you mean, "would look more natural"? Razz
That's the way it does look naturally. The bateriophage virus is ver mechanical looking by nature.

http://www.mining.ubc.ca/cerm3/T4%20photomicrograph1.gif
Re: Bateriaphage Virus Model [message #44494 is a reply to message #44490 ] Sun, 26 February 2012 06:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar leorolph  is currently offline leorolph
Go to my shop
they are mechanical looking, but they are also living.. notice the curvature on the head and spider like quality of the legs, also it looks like a second bend in the legs. Its a nice model, I'm just saying its an option:)
Re: Bateriaphage Virus Model [message #44507 is a reply to message #44494 ] Sun, 26 February 2012 18:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ah, sorry. You had a "...." in your reply so I didn't know what you were refering to. Yes, of course thinner legs would make it more natural. But there's a limitation to how thin Shapeways can print the legs in SWF. So to have thinner looking legs would require that the model be scaled up, while keeping the legs the same thickness, and I wanted a model that fits int he palm of your hand.

I think the number of bends in the leg depends on what strain of bateriophage. I modeled it off the version on wikipedia, whcih has one bend.
Re: Bateriaphage Virus Model [message #64647 is a reply to message #44507 ] Fri, 22 March 2013 08:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Invicta_NC  is currently offline Invicta_NC
Go to all my models
I like that. It sort of reminds me of some alien probe/bouy from the original Star Trek. I have a very eclectic collection of models on the shelf Embarassed Added to wishlist. Thanks for doing this!
Re: Bateriaphage Virus Model [message #64677 is a reply to message #44490 ] Fri, 22 March 2013 18:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar vess  is currently offline vess
Go to my shop
I really like it! Don't think the legs are too fragile, are they?
can Bacteriaphage think?
Re: Bateriaphage Virus Model [message #64691 is a reply to message #44490 ] Fri, 22 March 2013 22:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Cool. I had someone request a keychain for her boyfriend based on one of these back in 2010. He worked in a lab somewhere, as I recall. I had no idea what it even was when she asked me to model one. http://shpws.me/luQY

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Tiny Rabbit
Next Topic:Shark Man

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.