Best Material For 3d Printing A Box?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by louisfox, Mar 24, 2024.

1. louisfox
    louisfox Member
    Just getting into 3d printing and modding. Couldn't find anything via search, so curious to see recommendations on what materials you all prefer to printing your 3d printed boxes?

2. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
    What is the box to be used for? What size is the box? Does it need a lid? Would a lid need to be a press fit or loose fit, or hinged on one side? Does it need a latch or a lock?

Why would you want it 3-D printed? What is so special about this box that it needs to be 3-D printed?

Does it have to be water proof or only hold a fine powder or corn seeds? What will the content weight? Would the content be corrosive? Does it need air holes so the cat won't die?

I make boxes out of corrugated cardboard, pasteboard, chipboard, aluminum, steel, paper, wood, all sorts of materials depending on what the box needs to endure in use. I even made a box out of matchsticks glued side-by-side and end-to-end! Few ever need to be made by 3-D printing in any material.

Too many variables to give any sort of answer.

I'd only 3-D print a box if the surfaces needed to have some sort of embossed/engraved features or a special interior shape to fit whatever I was wanting to put in it.

Oh, I did purchase a "box" from one of the vendors in the Shapeways Marketplace that has a trick to removing the lid. Probably could have been made by assembling pieces, but by printing it in 3-D the creator was able to hide the mechanism that keeps the lid attached until you know the secret of how to open it. It also has lots of embossed decoration all over it that would have had to have been created with carving tools by hand, which was easier done in a 3-D drawing package.

bwterrainforge likes this.