Home » Community » It arrived! » A Heron
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
A Heron [message #61616] Fri, 08 February 2013 17:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

my first attempt at sculpting something. A lot harder than I originally expected - it was originally intended to be much more detailed and life-like, but trying to model the feet changed all that. I think a stylised representation is much better...ahem.

My idea was to make it in ceramic, I had the minimum wall thicknesses in mind and the max bounding box etc, but did not read the max thickness part. My mistake. Anyway, I hollowed it out, put some drainage holes in and had it printed out in pwsf.

I am very happy with the result, and hope my wife (who I modelled it for) will like it too.

Will try to get a better picture asap.

index.php?t=getfile&id=26885&private=0

Re: A Heron [message #61619 is a reply to message #61616 ] Fri, 08 February 2013 18:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I saw one of the great blue variety this morning. Very nice representation.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: A Heron [message #61625 is a reply to message #61619 ] Fri, 08 February 2013 18:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thank you, really.

I don't know if you read the blurb I wrote or not but I based it on a Great Blue because it had a pose I liked. Praise indeed!
Re: A Heron [message #61627 is a reply to message #61616 ] Fri, 08 February 2013 18:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ah, I did not. They are very common in our area, and there are lots of wood carvings around that resemble your model. At the office building where my mom used to work, they had a taxidermy one with a fish in it's mouth. Very elegant creatures, with terrible voice boxes lol.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: A Heron [message #61700 is a reply to message #61627 ] Sat, 09 February 2013 23:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Nice. Very elegant. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: A Heron [message #61725 is a reply to message #61700 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 08:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thx.
Re: A Heron [message #61866 is a reply to message #61616 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 12:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I think the stylised heron is MUCH better than a realistic representation - which would be very difficult to do in ceramic due to lack of detail available. I've done a few "sculptures" myself and feel that ceramic is ideal for this type of work. My latest one is HERE if you're interested.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: A Heron [message #61872 is a reply to message #61866 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 13:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Very nice, Glenn.

So no part of your structure is more than 15mm thick? I'm assuming it's not hollow. Do you think my Heron would print in Ceramic? Apart from the thickness issue, I wasn't sure that the legs would support the body, especially with the torque/moment of the beak.
Re: A Heron [message #61875 is a reply to message #61616 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 14:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
While I haven't measured the heads I don't think that would be an issue - just as wall THINness doesn't seem to be an issue with RINGS printed in s/steel I believe that an almost spherical object with a maximum thickness of 15mm+ wouldn't cause any problems in ceramic.

No, my model is not hollow - which is correct for printing in ceramic; it works out cheaper that way. In fact it is the cheapest material to print most models in.

You're right in that the leg and beak may be an issue for printing in ceramic, depending on size. You could always run it by Shapeways before actually ordering it. All being well, I would definitely recommend it.

Glenn

Re: A Heron [message #61876 is a reply to message #61616 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 14:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I would be concerned about the leg at least warping. Same with the beak.

Re: A Heron [message #61877 is a reply to message #61875 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 14:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
lensman wrote on Tue, 12 February 2013 14:22

While I haven't measured the heads I don't think that would be an issue - just as wall THINness doesn't seem to be an issue with RINGS printed in s/steel I believe that an almost spherical object with a maximum thickness of 15mm+ wouldn't cause any problems in ceramic.

One of my failed attempts to get this made was rejected for:

CS email

Here you can see that the model is got very thick walls which you need to make thinner, maybe you can make the model hollow?

As you can read on our design rule page for Ceramics the maximum wall thickness may be 15mm.

Didn't make sense to me but I had other issues as well...

No, my model is not hollow - which is correct for printing in ceramic; it works out cheaper that way. In fact it is the cheapest material to print most models in.

I know about the area thing, which is why initially I wanted to print this in ceramic. Having said that I think it should be an option to print in hollow ceramic and not have to pay for the inside to be glazed, especially as it is most probably not technically feasible so to do.

You're right in that the leg and beak may be an issue for printing in ceramic, depending on size. You could always run it by Shapeways before actually ordering it. All being well, I would definitely recommend it.

Good idea, I will do that.

Re: A Heron [message #61879 is a reply to message #61616 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 14:43 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes, in the case of the Heron there would likely have been large expanses of which (the body) that would be thicker than 15mm. Often it is just not practical to hollow out since then the walls become too thin!

Previous Topic:Figure for Tsunacon 2013
Next Topic:Treble clef rings

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.