Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » It arrived! » My first trial parts arrived
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
My first trial parts arrived [message #3564] Fri, 27 March 2009 16:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar EKELSO  is currently offline EKELSO
Go to all my models
I received my first group of parts for my creation. I had them made with the white strong and flexible and am impressed with the strength of the material. I ended up having to remove some material from a couple areas to get the parts to assemble for the head and found the material harder to remove than regular ABS plastic would have been. All in all I am pleased with the results so far and intend to create a few test pieces of some of the features to see how I will need to modify a copy of my working models for this process. Here are some pictures of the parts I had made in unassembled and assembled forms. I colored parts of the insert red to dramatize the eyes and nostrils. Let me know what you think. The head when assembled is approximately 5.5 inches from nose to end of horns. The complete assembly when finished will be aproximately 36 wide, 30 inches long, and 15 inches high.
index.php?t=getfile&id=405&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=408&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=409&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=410&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=411&private=0

[Updated on: Fri, 27 March 2009 17:44 UTC]

Re: My first trial parts arrived [message #3577 is a reply to message #3564 ] Fri, 27 March 2009 22:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
WOw, this is really nice!

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: My first trial parts arrived [message #3604 is a reply to message #3564 ] Sat, 28 March 2009 21:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar psau3  is currently offline psau3
Go to my shop
Custom (won't mention the brand) technical elements! Great idea. Given the very high tolerances the original product is made to, do the printed parts 'play well'?

Looking forward to seeing the entire beast.
Re: My first trial parts arrived [message #3623 is a reply to message #3604 ] Sun, 29 March 2009 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models

Most of the parts function well to design intent. The snap fit of the parts work, but only hold to a certain load, so I need to work on the tolerances a bit to get them to hold under more weight. This is most noticable on the wing finger joints. I will be making some test parts to see how much I need to adjust them to perform right.

Re: My first trial parts arrived [message #3947 is a reply to message #3564 ] Fri, 17 April 2009 03:26 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
My batch of test parts arrived and I have updated my models to the results. I have placed orders for more with the changes and can't wait to see the results. The new parts I have ordered will be for the front and rear legs and body. I will post new pics when I get them.

Here are some pictures of the test parts and how they worked.

• Attachment: 048.JPG
    (Size: 1.26MB, Downloaded 172 time(s))

• Attachment: 049.JPG
    (Size: 1.15MB, Downloaded 158 time(s))

• Attachment: 052.JPG
    (Size: 996.54KB, Downloaded 144 time(s))

• Attachment: 053.JPG
    (Size: 0.99MB, Downloaded 149 time(s))

• Attachment: 054.JPG
    (Size: 1.01MB, Downloaded 167 time(s))

Previous Topic:Metal and Plastic prints arrived
Next Topic:Once you start down that dark path...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.