Home » Community » General Discussion » Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62597] Fri, 22 February 2013 15:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
index.php?t=getfile&id=27830&private=0

Picture: Modeling Sheet by PaulChanning

One of my favorite types of objects on Shapeways is what we tend to call 'Digital Fabric': chainmail-like structures that behave like cloth. You can't resist it - you HAVE to play with these prints, and whenever I show them to people who are new to 3D printing, it leaves them with their mouth open.

So, given that it's time for the weekend and some goofy modeling again, I challenge you: can you make a digital fabric model that's more interesting than just a square piece of cloth? You're free to use any kind of structure that you like: interlocked rings, parts that are connected by tiny springs, or anything else.

You have until Monday morning 10:00, GMT+1 to come up with your ideas!

How to enter

Model the your digicloth, upload it to your gallery, tag it with 'Weekend Contest: Fabric' and post the link and picture here (upload the image, and click 'Insert image into message body' to embed it in your forum message).

Who wins?

You decide! Visit the model that you like most, and add it to your favorites. The model with the most votes wins.

What's the prize?

Eternal fame! Kudos from the Shapeways team! Riches! Okay, well, the winner will get a $25 gift certificate.

That's all?

Yep, grab a drink, goof around in your favorite modeling app this weekend and have fun!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62611 is a reply to message #62597 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 17:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sounds just up my street Smile

Some numbers for those interested how Shapeways' Mesh Medic behaves with chain maille;

Model - Triangles - Mesh Medic processing time between model uploaded and printable emails.
Chain Maille Dice Bag - 319 rings - 343k tris - 6 minutes
864, euro 4 in 1 sheet - 864 rings - 497k tris - 19 minutes
euro 4 in 1 sheet - 1029 rings - 987k tris - failed (20 mins)
euro 4 in 1 sheet - 693 rings - 665k tris - failed (21 mins)
651, euro 4 in 1 sheet - 651 rings - 625k tris - 17 minutes

There's a sneaky relationship between the number of triangles & number of shells (rings) to get Mesh Medic to behave.

Have Fun!

Paul
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62656 is a reply to message #62611 ] Sat, 23 February 2013 15:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Just curious - Shapeways Digi-fabrics one, two and three are in a Downloadable category, but I don't see the Download option for them.

Am I missing something, or just hoping for too much? Razz I was hoping to look at the internal structures to see how they work.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 February 2013 15:05 UTC]

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62671 is a reply to message #62656 ] Sat, 23 February 2013 22:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Each 'pin' should be able to be inserted or removed from the 'Yo-Yo Torus' and angled up to 15°
The idea is that you could have say five 'pins' and 'Yo-Yo's' fixed together to start to create a tailored effect by reducing the number of pieces.
You could also join them together into a bracelet or necklace. Minimum12 'Yo- Yo's' (52.39 mm Internal Diameter)

http://www.shapeways.com/model/939444/digital-fabric.html

index.php?t=getfile&id=27909&private=0

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62672 is a reply to message #62597 ] Sat, 23 February 2013 22:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hex Maille Coaster
http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_939368_833444_1361657598.jpg

The Hex Maille coaster is made up of interwoven hexangonal rings, the outer edge is in two parts.

Paul

p,s, scrolling up & down gives a weird effect with that image,
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62674 is a reply to message #62671 ] Sat, 23 February 2013 22:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Very interesting Jacant!

But am understanding you correctly? I'm thinking you're describing a kind of modular digital fabric that can be joined together in any way one may desire. Correct?

If so, what I would like to know is, how do the pins fit into the tori? Do they snap in? Or are you describing something entirely different form what I'm interpreting?

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62679 is a reply to message #62674 ] Sat, 23 February 2013 23:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
That's what I had in mind, to be modular.
The 'pins' are like round dumbels they should just pop in and out. There will be a bit of trial and error on this to get the correct tolerance fit.
Take a look at the circular image on the model page.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 February 2013 23:20 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62683 is a reply to message #62679 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 00:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I see I see. It sets my imagination on fire. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this and digital fabric in general. Namely, clothing made from textiles is one of the items that cannot be manufactured by robotic means, at least not until we can develop artificial intelligence that is. With 3D printing though, we can do it! Very Happy

I don't think I'll be able to enter anything this weekend as I'm obligated to something else. Fun to think about though. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62684 is a reply to message #62683 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 00:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Paul,

Nice design, makes me think of digital wicker! Very Happy Nice job!

Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62697 is a reply to message #62597 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 10:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Gromfrog  is currently offline Gromfrog
Go to my shop
I thought i would have a go this week as i had some spare time. I have been design chain mail products to test for a while and i thought why not design a new design that used panels that i could use to produce an iPad Mini Case with. Here is a small sheet that i have produce and i am going to start on the iPad mini case soon.

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_940095_834141_1361700096.jpg

Link

Thanks

Ryan

[Updated on: Sun, 24 February 2013 10:11 UTC]

Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62700 is a reply to message #62597 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 10:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
All great designs, very innovative. But...

bartv wrote on Fri, 22 February 2013 15:31

I challenge you: can you make a digital fabric model that's more interesting than just a square piece of cloth?

I may have misunderstood, but is the challenge not to make something 3d with your digital fabrics? Like in the picture...
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62701 is a reply to message #62684 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 11:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
UniverseBecoming wrote on Sun, 24 February 2013 00:37

Paul,

Nice design, makes me think of digital wicker! Very Happy Nice job!

Thanks Smile
The hexagon pattern is something I've been playing with since I created these Square Maille earrings and Square Maille coaster and as seen on the WSF material page - the Square design is quite fluid, but the hex design edging will make the coaster above more rigid.

Chers,
Paul
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62702 is a reply to message #62597 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 11:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Wow, this contest is really taking off! Awesome!

@stop4stuff: wow, those processing times are huge! Is this always the case? Which file format do you upload in? Nice work on the coaster! How many parts is it in total?

@denali3ddesign: hmm you're right, they don't have the 'download' flag set. I'll have to check with my colleagues, but I assume we'll be able to offer these for download after the weekend.

@JACANT: ooooh, clever, I like that! A completely new approach Smile Are you sure it's printable?

@UniverseBecoming: I can't wait to see what you'll come up with, even if it's after this weekend. Don't hesitate to post it on this thread!

@Gromfrog: do you think you can finish the case this weekend? I might also be interested in an iPhone 5 case with this structure! Smile

@AmLachDesigns: any kind of 'cloth' structure is welcome! Go crazy Smile

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62703 is a reply to message #62702 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 11:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi @bartv, i am almost finished the case just got to sort out all the holes and run through netfabb and an iPhone 5 case i can do
Ryan
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62704 is a reply to message #62703 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 11:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes! Excellent Smile

Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62711 is a reply to message #62702 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 13:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
bartv wrote on Sun, 24 February 2013 11:24

Wow, this contest is really taking off! Awesome!

@stop4stuff: wow, those processing times are huge! Is this always the case? Which file format do you upload in? Nice work on the coaster! How many parts is it in total?

The files are stl binary and yes for multi shell models the processing time can be huge especially when the shells are inter-woven as with chain maille.

Thanks, the coaster is only a small model - 21 parts/shells and only 13728 tiangles, there's some scope for a large creation using that hex design, maybe using as many as 2,500 rings Twisted Evil

Cheers,
Paul
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62716 is a reply to message #62597 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 16:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Finally after a whole 6 hours i have designed a new iPhone 5 case with a digital fabric back, i did design an iPad mini case but when i went to repair the file what ever i tried the file would come out the other end with errors and way to many shells but going to keep working at it but here is the iPhone 5 Version.

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_940407_834516_1361721582.jpg

Link

I have worked out there is 371 shells/parts

Thanks

Ryan
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62726 is a reply to message #62597 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 19:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
this probably is not by contest description but i got an idea to do this http://shpws.me/nnfX
http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_938126_831768_1361577620.jpg

I also try create something that would behave like fabric but it was failure Smile

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62727 is a reply to message #62597 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 20:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I've been playing with the hex design, reduced the rings to 240 triangles per ring.

A huge 54.36 x 63.45 cm sheet of 2133 rings.

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_940606_834801_1361732973.jpg

Just about the max time for Mesh Medic and nearly the max size for WSF Twisted Evil

What shall I do with it?

Paul
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62730 is a reply to message #62702 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 21:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
This Schema (Conceptual model) should be printable. All pins have a 0.5mm gap. So the pins are free to move.
Like I said before it will take a few trials to get this right.
The Yo-Yo with five pins and the pins that fit into it would be slightly smaller to create the natural curve.

index.php?t=getfile&id=27970&private=0

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62731 is a reply to message #62727 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 21:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
A. Roll it up to really fill the printer Very Happy
B. Call it graphene and collect bazillions of grant money Shocked
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62733 is a reply to message #62731 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 22:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
No one took George de Mestral seriously at first.

update 'bracelet' approx 100mm insde diameter

When I try to upload it there are 'pins' missing!!!

index.php?t=getfile&id=27975&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 25 February 2013 00:45 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62745 is a reply to message #62733 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 07:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar vertigopolka  is currently offline vertigopolka
Go to my shop
I've designed a purse using a very flexible, interwoven mesh pattern. the wires are a little over 1mm with about .5mm between.
The purse also has a reclosable clasp. The rendering shows it in the closed position, but it will be printed in the open position.

model page

index.php?t=getfile&id=27987&private=0

@vertigopolka
http://www.vertigopolka.com
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62752 is a reply to message #62597 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 11:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@vertigopolka The design of your purse looks very familiar.

quote title=JACANT wrote on Sun, 24 February 2013 22:58]
No one took George de Mestral seriously at first.

update 'bracelet' approx 100mm insde diameter

When I try to upload it there are 'pins' missing!!!
[/quote]

ooo.... I wonder if a version of velcro is printable in WSF?

If the pins are made of seperate shells that are very small, Mesh Mesic removes them before booleaning - use the Net Fabb Cloud Service before uploading to Shapeways to ensure no parts get removed.

mkroeker wrote on Sun, 24 February 2013 21:45

B. Call it graphene and collect bazillions of grant money Shocked

A - the structure is already at the 20 minute time-out limit for Mesh Medic, another 40 rings cases the upload to fail.
B - hasn't that been done?

Smile
Paul
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62755 is a reply to message #62752 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 13:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Mon, 25 February 2013 11:33

@vertigopolka The design of your purse looks very familiar.

@stop4stuff - Yes, I've used the same basic purse design in my "Woven Purse" as my "Mesh Purse" (attached pic), but the new purse has an interwoven "fabric" design as opposed to a flat, flexible pattern in the mesh purse below.

index.php?t=getfile&id=27992&private=0

And, quite honestly, I've attempted (very unsuccessfully) to use this weave pattern in a purse earlier this month. This new design fixes some of the flaws I had. So maybe this design does not qualify for this contest.

@vertigopolka
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62763 is a reply to message #62755 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 16:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
VELCRO! I woke up thinking about that this morning and came on here to see if I had any time to make a design, but since Paul mentioned it I'll pass. I like your design by the way Paul cuz, as mentioned, it looks like graphene. I'm a big graphene fan, I even have a domain dedicated to it. I'd call it Graphene Digital Textile! Very Happy

I'll vote for Vertigopolka's purse. I can appreciate the time that went into making those curves while still maintaining the clearances. I'm thinking you had to make a radial array for each part before duplicating it linearly.

On the other hand, I have no idea how Jacant made that half a buckyball with his design! Laughing

On the other OTHER hand, Ryan's design will probably be the most popular as far as sales go.

I'm glad to see this weekends contest was a great success! YAYYYY! Very Happy

Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62770 is a reply to message #62597 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 19:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey all,

wow, you sure gave us a hard time choosing Smile We REALLY liked Vertigopolka's purse (we may be in touch about that one Wink and stop4stuff's coaster, but after debating it with some colleagues, we think that JACANT's approach was the most innovative - the $25 voucher is coming your way, congrats!

Thank you all for making this edition such a success - I guess we'll have to come up with an even better theme next weekend! Smile

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62774 is a reply to message #62770 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Congrats JACANT http://www.shapeways.com/forum/images/message_icons/icon14.gif

This has been a rather interesting weekend contest - what's next?

Paul
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62775 is a reply to message #62770 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 19:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
You did say "a digital fabric model that's more interesting than just a square piece of cloth?"

If the design works is a different story, but hey let's keep on pushing the boundary's

Thanks for the prize and having the competition. I love a challenge. Can't wait till the next one.

Cheers

Rob

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62787 is a reply to message #62775 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 21:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Congrats, Rob.

I ran out of time on this one, but here is a resource I found that may be of interest: Chain Mail Tutorials.

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62788 is a reply to message #62787 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Nice one.

Thanks Marcus

Rob

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62790 is a reply to message #62788 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 21:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
And the next step up from cgmail is http://www.mailleartisans.org/ - all kinds of weave to explore in their library Wink

Paul
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62791 is a reply to message #62788 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 21:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Congrats, Rob! Real nice work!

@vertigopolka
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62793 is a reply to message #62791 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 21:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you to everyone for your kind words. Embarassed

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric [message #62931 is a reply to message #62731 ] Thu, 28 February 2013 09:35 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
mkroeker wrote on Sun, 24 February 2013 21:45

I rolled up a smaller version - Hex Maille bracelet

Paul

Previous Topic:3d Printer - Exploring the world of 3d Printing
Next Topic:Wall thickness rules

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.