Weekend Contest #3: Digital Fabric

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bartv, Feb 22, 2013.

1. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    A. Roll it up to really fill the printer :D
    B. Call it graphene and collect bazillions of grant money :eek:

2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    No one took George de Mestral seriously at first.

update 'bracelet' approx 100mm insde diameter

When I try to upload it there are 'pins' missing!!!

Digital Fabric Bracelet.png

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. vertigopolka
    vertigopolka Member
    I've designed a purse using a very flexible, interwoven mesh pattern. the wires are a little over 1mm with about .5mm between.
    The purse also has a reclosable clasp. The rendering shows it in the closed position, but it will be printed in the open position.

model page

woven-purse-renderings.jpg

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    @vertigopolka The design of your purse looks very familiar.

quote title=JACANT wrote on Sun, 24 February 2013 22:58]
    No one took George de Mestral seriously at first.

update 'bracelet' approx 100mm insde diameter

When I try to upload it there are 'pins' missing!!!
    [/quote]

ooo.... I wonder if a version of velcro is printable in WSF?

If the pins are made of seperate shells that are very small, Mesh Mesic removes them before booleaning - use the Net Fabb Cloud Service before uploading to Shapeways to ensure no parts get removed.

A - the structure is already at the 20 minute time-out limit for Mesh Medic, another 40 rings cases the upload to fail.
    B - hasn't that been done?

:)
    Paul

5. vertigopolka
    vertigopolka Member
    @stop4stuff - Yes, I've used the same basic purse design in my "Woven Purse" as my "Mesh Purse" (attached pic), but the new purse has an interwoven "fabric" design as opposed to a flat, flexible pattern in the mesh purse below.

VP-small-mesh-purse-open.jpg

And, quite honestly, I've attempted (very unsuccessfully) to use this weave pattern in a purse earlier this month. This new design fixes some of the flaws I had. So maybe this design does not qualify for this contest.

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    VELCRO! I woke up thinking about that this morning and came on here to see if I had any time to make a design, but since Paul mentioned it I'll pass. I like your design by the way Paul cuz, as mentioned, it looks like graphene. I'm a big graphene fan, I even have a domain dedicated to it. I'd call it Graphene Digital Textile! :D

I'll vote for Vertigopolka's purse. I can appreciate the time that went into making those curves while still maintaining the clearances. I'm thinking you had to make a radial array for each part before duplicating it linearly.

On the other hand, I have no idea how Jacant made that half a buckyball with his design! :laughing:

On the other OTHER hand, Ryan's design will probably be the most popular as far as sales go.

I'm glad to see this weekends contest was a great success! YAYYYY! :D

7. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey all,

wow, you sure gave us a hard time choosing :) We REALLY liked Vertigopolka's purse (we may be in touch about that one ;) and stop4stuff's coaster, but after debating it with some colleagues, we think that JACANT's approach was the most innovative - the $25 voucher is coming your way, congrats!

Thank you all for making this edition such a success - I guess we'll have to come up with an even better theme next weekend! :)

Cheers,

Bart

8. stop4stuff
    Congrats JACANT [​IMG]

This has been a rather interesting weekend contest - what's next?

Paul

9. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    You did say "a digital fabric model that's more interesting than just a square piece of cloth?"

If the design works is a different story, but hey let's keep on pushing the boundary's

Thanks for the prize and having the competition. I love a challenge. Can't wait till the next one.

Cheers

Rob

10. Congrats, Rob.

I ran out of time on this one, but here is a resource I found that may be of interest: Chain Mail Tutorials.

11. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Nice one.

Thanks Marcus

Rob

12. stop4stuff
  13. vertigopolka
    vertigopolka Member
    Congrats, Rob! Real nice work!

14. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member