State Tax ????

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by 276258_deleted, Dec 30, 2012.

1. New guy here,was getting ready to palce my first order but while I was checking out I was being charged staet tax ??? I'm in Washington state and we don't pay state tax on any on-line orders.I went thur andre-did the check out twice but still was being charged 7.7% tax ! can someone or anyone shed some light on this for me ?? Thank you in advance.
    nmanic

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Your not shipping to NY are you? only state that should be paying sales tax is New York (and maybe California?), unless something has changed in the laws recently. I'd email Service to figure out.

3. Thank you,I'm in Washington state ,which does not do sales tax on on-line orders .

4. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hi nmanic,

Welcome to Shapeways!
    This comes from Jay, our Finance guy:

We are legally required to charge Sales Tax for orders shipped to Washington State, just like Amazon does, because we have a physical presence in the state, just like Amazon.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Best,
    Natalia

5. Natalia ,Thank you for your input you say" Shapeway as a we have a physical presence in the state" I looked all over and even called the BBB and they have no clue to who or what Shapeways is??

L

6. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi nmanic,

We have a physical presence in Seattle.

Kind regards,
    Mitchell

7. Hi,Thank you I found that out today ! small detail I don't live in King county but I guess that is the way it is,Again thank you and everyone eles for the feedback
    Cheers
    larry