Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Multiple Shops Per User?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Multiple Shops Per User? [message #8977] Fri, 15 January 2010 04:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar sFsGaming  is currently offline sFsGaming
Go to my shop
I was wondering if ShapeWays has ever thought of allowing users to have multiple shops for multiple purpose-specific models.

If not, how would you feel about people creating new accounts for each shop that they'd like to have?

For example...I'd like one for gaming miniatures and one for full-scale original props and prop parts.

How should I go about this?

Thanks!
Re: Multiple Shops Per User? [message #8979 is a reply to message #8977 ] Fri, 15 January 2010 05:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'm also curious about this.

In the mean time, there is the option of personal categories/sections in your shop, it's not perfect, but it's something Smile

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Multiple Shops Per User? [message #9000 is a reply to message #8979 ] Sat, 16 January 2010 04:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
virtox wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 05:37

I'm also curious about this.

In the mean time, there is the option of personal categories/sections in your shop, it's not perfect, but it's something Smile

Unfortunately, I need more separation than that, so it looks like I'll need to create an account for each of the shop that I need to open. Sad

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of this option! Smile
Re: Multiple Shops Per User? [message #9083 is a reply to message #9000 ] Tue, 19 January 2010 01:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I've asked about this and Shapeways admin said they could make it work. I haven't tried it yet.

I agree that this "should" be allowed, at least as long as there's no good way to separate groups of products within a shop.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Multiple Shops Per User? [message #9315 is a reply to message #8977 ] Wed, 27 January 2010 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pp  is currently offline pp
Go to all my models
HI,

How separated do you need it to be. Is opening a new shop a "work around" and would eg. improved categories in you own shop be better... If so how do you want to have it improved?

You have some more feedback for me?
thanks Peter Paul
Re: Multiple Shops Per User? [message #9437 is a reply to message #9315 ] Sun, 31 January 2010 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
pp wrote on Wed, 27 January 2010 21:15

HI,

How separated do you need it to be. Is opening a new shop a "work around" and would eg. improved categories in you own shop be better... If so how do you want to have it improved?

You have some more feedback for me?
thanks Peter Paul

To me, I just don't think that some of what I'd like to produce mixes well with other projects.

For example...I'd love to have a separate "shop" for gaming miniatures and another for sculptures (Like my Three Rings).

And then I'd like another shop for technical items that I want to produce.

I suppose I could do with categories within the same shop, but to be completely honest, there are some items that I don't want associated with others, and I don't necessarily want others to know that I did both. Strange, I know, but that's how I'd like to see it, personally.

I'd also like them to be separate for tax purposes if I ever start making substantial money (wishful thinking...).
Re: Multiple Shops Per User? [message #9438 is a reply to message #9437 ] Sun, 31 January 2010 17:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
An informative example might be Bathsheba's sites. She maintains two separate websites (domains), with one focused on co-creator-like activities (custom modeling of protein structures), and one focused on her sculpture. She also maintains a Shapeways shop. It would be interesting to hear her thoughts about the costs and benefits of splitting up versus consolidating lines of business.

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: Multiple Shops Per User? [message #9914 is a reply to message #9438 ] Sat, 13 February 2010 11:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I do think it's best to present customers with at most about 12 related objects at a time. More than that and they will get confused and not buy anything.

I'd like to have "folders" in the Shapeways shop, rather than models being presented initially as a long undifferentiated list.

(Guys, I love you, but the "long list split into tiny pages" presentation is a disaster. Can the list view at least become the default?)

But I also think designers should be allowed -- encouraged -- to have multiple shops. Having different product lines that don't belong together, even as categories within the same shop, is very common.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Multiple Shops Per User? [message #9916 is a reply to message #8977 ] Sat, 13 February 2010 11:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I can imagine the need for multiple shops for unrelated models.

Next to his however, a better definition of the shop front and shop-sections would be ideal.
Something like the current theme-index and theme-subpages structure.

You would have a nicely customizable shop front page.
With selected models in different categories (art/jewelry/gadgets)
On this page next to each model type would be a link "go to all jewelry from <shopname>" which goes to the appropriate shop-section. The shop-sections could each have their own customizable title/description and banner.

In the mean while, I've been thinking of creating "bumper" models.
Making eight dummy models, each in their own category.
Those would show up on the first shop page. Each model description would then be a link to the appropriate section.

The main problem is that sorting models per section would be necessary to make it fully effective. (which would be nice ta have anyway)

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:Seriously, people should be able to set a different markup for different materials and sizes
Next Topic:Shop sorting : it works ! (?)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.