Home » Support » 3D Design » Ceramic printing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ceramic printing [message #89098] Sun, 04 May 2014 22:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar rhgrafix  is currently offline rhgrafix
Go to my shop
I am drawing a creamer and lid to be made of ceramic, so it's the max 2 parts for upload, I don't think I can use sprues, also I can't make an stl file with 2 parts, I read all of the ceramic material page and cannot find how this is done,
Thanks much!
R.L. Hamm
Re: Ceramic printing [message #89104 is a reply to message #89098 ] Mon, 05 May 2014 00:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
With Ceramics, you can't use sprues, but you can put two parts in the same file.

As far as the STL file format - it can handle thousands of shells if you wish. You just need to figure out how to do it with the software you are designing with. What program are you using?

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Ceramic printing [message #89105 is a reply to message #89098 ] Mon, 05 May 2014 00:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MrNib  is currently offline MrNib
Go to my shop
You should be able to combine two different stl objects into one file using Blender. I've done it before although Blender doesn't make it easy for the casual user such as myself. I usually have to rediscover the procedure each time I try to do it.
Re: Ceramic printing [message #89110 is a reply to message #89104 ] Mon, 05 May 2014 02:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I use Autocad 2007, it's pretty limited on file exporting, I can export to .stl but it asks to select only one item.
I just added an export-object add-on and now I can select more than 1 item, I just tested an upload and it works. I see that I can upload zip files but I assume that is for Collada textures or something?
I guess for the lid, I just float it above the creamer body just a bit farther than the 4mm clearance they suggested on the materials page?
There sure is a lot to learn but I am having fun!
Thanks again!
R.L.Hamm

Re: Ceramic printing [message #89111 is a reply to message #89105 ] Mon, 05 May 2014 02:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, I am pretty proficient in Blender but wanted to use that for a last resort, joining edges can be time consuming when you don't know all the tricks,
Ramon
Re: Ceramic printing [message #89116 is a reply to message #89098 ] Mon, 05 May 2014 05:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MrNib  is currently offline MrNib
Go to my shop
I believe they would prefer that both unconnected elements in the file are both sitting on the "ground" next to each other if possible, or in other words have their bottoms touching the same plane. I can't remember if I saw this recommendation in the forum or in an older incarnation of the ceramics design rules. Any ceramics experts out there that know what's recommended?

With regards to Blender I only use it to combine multiple FINISHED stl designs into one file. I haven't done much of any actual design work within Blender yet.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 May 2014 05:05 UTC]

Re: Ceramic printing [message #89189 is a reply to message #89116 ] Mon, 05 May 2014 21:44 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Good idea. I am wondering now if I should but little feet on the bottom, like risers, almost line an aspiring cut in half horizontally, 1/4" dia or so.
Ramon

Previous Topic:Chains, links, Chainmaille
Next Topic:Bearings

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.