Home » Support » 3D Applications » Shell is 2 not 1
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shell is 2 not 1 [message #82584] Sun, 05 January 2014 04:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar mckevins  is currently offline mckevins
Go to my shop
I'm using 123D for my models and Netfabb for any repairs. All my models are single objects shelled in 123D, but whenever I bring them into Netfabb, the shell is always 2 (before and after any repairs). How can I get this down to 1?

mckevin
Re: Shell is 2 not 1 [message #82588 is a reply to message #82584 ] Sun, 05 January 2014 07:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
In Netfabb, select Repair.
Then right click the item and pick "Select this shell"
Then right click again and pick "Remove selected triangles"

Now, take a look around and see what's left. You may find that there is some microscopic part still left, or you may find that 123d cut your model in half - I'm not sure what you will find, but the method above should help you identify it.

You don't have to save these changes, it's just a way to try to figure out what's going on.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Shell is 2 not 1 [message #82591 is a reply to message #82584 ] Sun, 05 January 2014 08:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
mckevins wrote on Sun, 05 January 2014 04:42

... single objects shelled in 123D...

By 'shelled', do you mean you have a hollow model? If so, simply create a hole or holes (according to Shapeways design guidelines) connecting the inner and outer shells, and viola, you're ready to go!

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"

Previous Topic:Cubify Design 2014 - STL
Next Topic:3D printing model made in Blender

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.