Home » Support » 3D Applications » Been a shapways user for almost three years suddenly everything is wrong
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Been a shapways user for almost three years suddenly everything is wrong [message #73811] Wed, 28 August 2013 18:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar Silverbeam  is currently offline Silverbeam
Go to my shop
I could really use some help. Not only is this important to my small self business but I finally have a break that could mean a real job for me so understanding the problems and what is going on is imperative. I need to figure this out and I need to immediately. That and i would like to know how to model so that is ready to print without help and fixing on the other side. If there was a lot of work and fixing I wish they would have told me. How can one get better and do it right if they are never told? More of what goes on and happens to your model between upload and printing would really be important to know for all users.

I create dolls, ball jointed dolls, creating them with 3D printing. It involves a lot of parts and takes time to do. I use lightwave to create my models so any help there as well or incite would be great. I have been creating dolls and printing them for several years without much fuss except the occasional wall is too thin in an area I had missed measuring. here are the images they have sent me regarding my current model, etc and issues I can think of.

Walls: Too thin, covered that, not really an issue I know how to fix that and usually catch it etc...

Intersecting geometry: I have been doing this from day one so if this is an issue I wish they would have told me and not printed hundreds of models of mine beforehand. Doesn't seem to be an issue or a problem in reality. this is say I modeled a hand and then instead of attaching all the points to a ball to make the joint for the writs, I just overlap the two.

Boolean Cuts: I need to make a channel or a groove. I freeze my model from subpatch then make the cut with my boolean tool. It makes new walls and the shape needed. Usually a lot of points in this process. Again never been told I can't do this, or hasn't been an issue that I knew about, but I can see where this might be tricky or messy. I could see where this would create a problem, but again this was not pointed out, nor is it all of what was shown which I don't understand.

original picture they showed me with the "0" thickness polygons I didn't create as the original "problem".
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3674/9614398487_116aea3d94_c.jpg

supposed problems they found with my model, some would make sense if it where any of the issues I labled above, but most is just so odd in placement, and everything is mirrored so it should at least be mirrored problems?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5519/9614400841_d1e4bd1d66_o.png

[Updated on: Wed, 28 August 2013 18:31 UTC]

SEE ETSY SHOP: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Silverbeam
Re: Been a shapways user for almost three years suddenly everything is wrong [message #73814 is a reply to message #73811 ] Wed, 28 August 2013 18:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
For the polygons added in the eyes, it appears you may have had holes in your mesh, that meshmedic tried to fix?

As for multiple shells. Generally not a problem, but as you get more and more overlapping shells, meshmedic has to work harder and harder. This can cause timeouts with meshmedic. But shouldn't be an issue after uploading. What was the text in the rejection email? Also what was your order number so I can communicate with service.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Been a shapways user for almost three years suddenly everything is wrong [message #73815 is a reply to message #73814 ] Wed, 28 August 2013 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
order 289816
model number 733530 - Browniling 018.5F

The original message below.... I am talking to someone but it is frustrating since it is a one reply a day kinda thing... i needed this monday and yeah the process is kinda killing me Sad there shouldn't have been any holes in the eyes as they were modeled as holes, not cut etc.... If any should be where I did cuts like the skull top and grooves on the ball joints etc.

When you say multiple shells do you mean different solid objects or parts?

Quote:

The minimum wall thickness for this material is 0.7mm. Please thicken the walls of the model. For more information about the design specifications for this material please visit: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-flexible-design-gu idelines

To print (and continue to sell) your model modify your file and update it here: http://www.shapeways.com/model/edit/1294475 .

We know you've already put a lot of time and effort in creating your model. If we can help in any way email us at:

i've been talking with joost? on emails?

[Updated on: Wed, 28 August 2013 19:07 UTC]

Re: Been a shapways user for almost three years suddenly everything is wrong [message #73816 is a reply to message #73811 ] Wed, 28 August 2013 19:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
When you say you have intersecting geometry, each enclosed geometry is called a shell. Meshmedic can also have issues with overlapping geometry that sits faces to face. It appears in your image from Netfabb, that there are multiple shells in the eye area. Is it possible that some of these shells could have overlapping faces? intersecting faces is fine, issues areas when faces site face to face, like a piece of paper stacked on another piece of paper.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Been a shapways user for almost three years suddenly everything is wrong [message #73817 is a reply to message #73816 ] Wed, 28 August 2013 19:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
shouldn't be, they should be intersecting if anything.... It's not duplicate on top of each other like if you accidentally copied and pasted the same thing on top. It's pretty tight in there so maybe it is getting confused. theres kinda a bowl like shape around the eyes.

Again nothing really new. However i will tweak round there maybe loosening the geometry up or spreading it out a little more will unconfuse the program. is this netfab or what program? How do I do the check myself if i can?

Re: Been a shapways user for almost three years suddenly everything is wrong [message #73818 is a reply to message #73811 ] Wed, 28 August 2013 19:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Your second screenshot is Netfabb. You could try doing an automatic repair with Netfabb, and try uploading that. Check the render to see if elements are added to the eyes again. I've emailed Joost to see what we can do to get you rolling.

Re: Been a shapways user for almost three years suddenly everything is wrong [message #73819 is a reply to message #73817 ] Wed, 28 August 2013 19:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
you know what?

I printed this model minus the small tweaks (nothing around the eyes) and there was some strange printed lines like in the image I showed. So even with the issue the medic program made it was printed before. This is getting really confusing.

Re: Been a shapways user for almost three years suddenly everything is wrong [message #73820 is a reply to message #73811 ] Wed, 28 August 2013 19:39 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If you can, send me the model and I'll take a look at it. I can't give you a solid answer to why one was printed and one was rejected until I hear back from Joost, more than likely tomorrow.

Previous Topic:Polygon count reduction with MeshLab for ShapeWays
Next Topic:SketchUp uploading and missing texture... what?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.