Home » Support » 3D Printing » Ball and cylindrical joints
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ball and cylindrical joints [message #68411] Tue, 21 May 2013 07:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar Robotex  is currently offline Robotex
Go to all my models
Hello. I want to design and print working human arm model. I have a questions about materials. Strong & Flexible plastic looks good but what thickness must details have to avoid flexibility? How thick must be outer sphere of ball joint to make it strong?
Re: Ball and cylindrical joints [message #69685 is a reply to message #68411 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 13:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
That depends on the scale of the joint you are designing. What size joints are you planning to design?

I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing.  

James
Re: Ball and cylindrical joints [message #69695 is a reply to message #69685 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 15:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Robotex  is currently offline Robotex
Go to all my models
between 1cm and 1.5cm at diameter
Re: Ball and cylindrical joints [message #69776 is a reply to message #69695 ] Thu, 13 June 2013 22:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
For that scale I'd go with about a 1 mm for wall thickness. That should be sufficiently strong for your application in that material.

I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing.  

James

Previous Topic:Any good conductors?
Next Topic:Opinions on how this will turn out