Home » Support » 3D Printing » SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #65221] Sun, 31 March 2013 04:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar Silverbeam  is currently offline Silverbeam
Go to my shop
Sometimes print orientation isn't important, and sometimes it is vital. Please voice and discuss here, show pictures on why we all need this as an option. Also shapeways please let us know if this is being worked on and any updates as they come along!

For me It can really make and break the items I create for my customers.

I create dolls, and due to the size of the item I can afford to reprint whenever SW chooses the wrong print orientation. It can totally ruin the aesthetic of my creations, and to have a product that varies so much per print makes business difficult.

Here is a good print with the proper orientation:

https://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/5805685/il_fullxfull.328790879.jpg

Here is a bad example where they choose the wrong print orientation for my model...

https://img2.etsystatic.com/012/0/8697994/icm_fullxfull.25911702_iu7p9t0ai0oww4c0ggoc.jpg

I of course needed to order two of them and both dolls were like this. Sad

Feel free to show your own pictures and add your voice to encourage shapeways to get this option available ASAP!

SEE ETSY SHOP: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Silverbeam
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #65227 is a reply to message #65221 ] Sun, 31 March 2013 06:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Does the other doll have any issue like this, anywhere? Even if not in vital parts (top of head, for example), it would be interesting to know if orientation, or orientation + something else, bit you.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #65237 is a reply to message #65227 ] Sun, 31 March 2013 14:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The suckers on the tentacles are a bit rough. I find white strong and flexible is "smooth" except for one side where it is heavier layered.

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #65423 is a reply to message #65237 ] Wed, 03 April 2013 16:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lyneux  is currently offline lyneux
Go to my shop
I need to generate masters for casting and have resorted to having to do this to get 4 good parts (I'll try and upload photos of the actual prints, but there are big differences between the quality of the three orientations):

index.php?t=getfile&id=30028&private=0

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #65455 is a reply to message #65237 ] Wed, 03 April 2013 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
In past, sometimes the blame went to too much nylon recycling or getting into the big machines. That was the reason for asking if the "correct" doll had same or better layering in a different place. Of course, even if the issue doesn't happen but the orientation puts layers in a such important area like the face, the impact is catastrophic anyway.

If you need to resort to tricks like tripling the model, maybe time to look for a different master source.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #66855 is a reply to message #65221 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 13:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HarrisSilverForge  is currently offline HarrisSilverForge
Go to all my models
I have a model I want to print in colored plastic, and was thus very careful to model it within a 15cm x 15cm x 15cm box, but my model would lay along the diagonal of the box and so it's oriented longest dimension is 17 cm. If I could choose my own orientation I could print in the material I want.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #66856 is a reply to message #65221 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 13:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Harris, can you make the model public and share it with us? Are you saying it's not printable in the material you want because of the oriented bounding box?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #66857 is a reply to message #66856 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 13:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
The model is here. I want to print it in red plastic.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #66860 is a reply to message #65221 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 14:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
It's dimensions appear to fit in the requirements for Red Nylon, is it not letting you pick Red Nylon as your material?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #66921 is a reply to message #66860 ] Fri, 26 April 2013 16:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
No, I cannot choose any of colored plastics, presumably because oriented it's largest dimension is 17 cm, and the maximum is 15 cm. The model can be oriented so that no dimension is greater than 15cm, though.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67061 is a reply to message #65221 ] Mon, 29 April 2013 16:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
well got another round of my dolls this past week, and I am less than thrilled..... I have already emailed service about it...

image uploaded below....

If we can't have the choice of what axis an item is printed in, it would be nice to at least have the technicians use a little common sense when they choose the direction etc.

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67067 is a reply to message #65221 ] Mon, 29 April 2013 18:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
HarrisSilverForge - Have you emailed service? I may be mistaken, but the material selection should be based on original orientation.

SilverBeam - I'm sorry about your poor results. I'm sure service will get you order straightened out.

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67069 is a reply to message #65221 ] Mon, 29 April 2013 18:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
I'd like to vote for being able to specify print orientation. I'd also be willing to pay a nominal premium for it. Some models are inherently suited to having a specific orientation to maintain the quality of the print. (The aforementioned doll would be a prime example, but I have a few of my own.)

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67205 is a reply to message #67069 ] Tue, 30 April 2013 23:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
FreeRangeBrain wrote:

"I'd like to vote for being able to specify print orientation. I'd also be willing to pay a nominal premium for it."

I think the problem is Shapeway's figured the price necessary for them to offer print orientation and it's a LOT more than a nominal premium over current prices. I've been asking for this option too for quite a while.

Unfortunately right now if you absolutely require one specific orientation you'll have to go to a commercial printer and pay 4-5 times what Shapeways charges (not to mention meet a minimum part order). Don't give up hope; Shapeways will offer print orientation when it's financially possible.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67206 is a reply to message #67205 ] Tue, 30 April 2013 23:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
GWMT wrote:

"Unfortunately right now if you absolutely require one specific orientation you'll have to go to a commercial printer and pay 4-5 times what Shapeways charges (not to mention meet a minimum part order). Don't give up hope; Shapeways will offer print orientation when it's financially possible."

There's a way around that, but you probably won't like it, and it'd make you somewhat unpopular with the technician loading models into the print space in the software: make a sprue that forces an orientation in the print volume.

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67207 is a reply to message #65221 ] Wed, 01 May 2013 00:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Someone explain to me why it would be any sort of expensive to choose which axis the item is printed on. If they can flip or switch the axis around from the original upload, why would it "cost" more to do so, besides the few minutes to do rotate it etc. Does it have something to do with fitting more items in? Something to do with slicing the layers?

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67211 is a reply to message #67207 ] Wed, 01 May 2013 01:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Silverbeam wrote:

"Does it have something to do with fitting more items in? Something to do with slicing the layers?"

Yes, rather exactly. It's much like packing your knick-knacks into a moving box - you can get more of them in if you don't mind changing the orientation.

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67212 is a reply to message #67207 ] Wed, 01 May 2013 02:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Most probably about fitting more items. They seem pretty quiet about everything, other than saying "soon". Remember the issues (or look them up if you missed them) about upload vs optimized bounding box. It caused lots of confusion. Nearly flat items are rotated even if that means all the model surface gets full of steps making it useless (flat pendants with a loop) and not really making packing much easier. Other times a "symetrical" item (head) gets the main feature ugly (face) with the zone that will be not seen being pretty good (back of skull). Sometimes the new system even rejects items because they fit the maximum box as uploaded, but the optimized version is bigger in one of the axis.

It can also be about support material or even the part not breaking, but then the right path is also giving the option and providing detailed information about how to arrange parts to guarantee printability and quality. In any case, the modeller will have to learn the problems of the new media to achieve better results, but that depends in learning, and not luck and of course not being hold out of the loop.

But after seeing that "it has printed before" problem still happens and there is not even an obvious push to report problematic models every time they are printed (iterative improvement), cancelling new orders later instead, making the modeller and Shapeways look like total clowns... well, hard to have hope anything will be fixed, at least soon. It doesn't play along the idea of a direct sales business, specially for impulse buys and products that get famous by social media and have small spikes of sales. Or maybe modellers will just have to accept to only offer products that are fine even in the worst orientation.

Too much red tape, uncontrollable growth or chaos going on behind the scenes. Hey, a forum icon is still wrong, even after multiple reports and a fix being offered for free at least once (from someone that loses 5% with every markup reinvestment in SW). And that's a low hanging fruit that would give the idea that at least someone can paddle around the rough waters.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67219 is a reply to message #67212 ] Wed, 01 May 2013 06:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
A picture is (possibly) worth a thousand words:
http://www.shapeways.com/topics/udesign/tutorials/designing_mechanical_parts_for_3d_printing/3d_queue.png

Read the full tutorial here: http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/designing_mechanical_part s_for_3d_printing

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67227 is a reply to message #67219 ] Wed, 01 May 2013 08:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
StonySmith

Your picture is most helpful in explaining how the items are packed. Who creates this packing a human or software?

In either case why can designers not be offered the option (at a premium, of course) to have their item oriented? These premium items could be the first item(s) in the build volume and then the ordinary items packed around them, using the same method as at present.

stannum

I agree with much of what you say: I have reported several times that the community has an incorrect link (Latest Shapeways Forum Posts points to the blog) and it has yet to be fixed. Pedantic, yes, but as you say indicative.

Also, I initially had high hopes of the Shop, but since my prototypes have had so many issues I haven't really pursued it. There are several reasons, but among them is the lack of predictability of the output of the printers and the consequent effect on any (at this point hypothetical!) customers. I use (and am still grateful for the presence of) Shapeways for items for me and for my friends where I can control and fix the problems.

I hope that the 30 million USD investment will help in some way, and wonder if issues associated with that are why the 'powers that be' at SW have been so quiet recently. In any case I hope that SW don't 'pivot' (from the Lean Startup) and do a TinkerCad....

[Updated on: Wed, 01 May 2013 17:15 UTC]

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67264 is a reply to message #65221 ] Wed, 01 May 2013 16:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Seriously, Lets not drop in quality. There have been a few nice things added to shapeways, it's been a slow grow, but they are the only reasonably priced company I have found.

I have been working with shapeways for several years now and every order usually has at least one item that differs from normal quality. Yes I tend to have large orders, but still, my items have been printed many times, so it gets frustrating to have to do the email battle every other week. I hate feeling like a pest and always complaining about problems to service. It's not their fault after all. I would like it if it was a bit faster to get responses back. this week apparently is a holiday or something so apparently everyone is "off".

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67291 is a reply to message #67264 ] Wed, 01 May 2013 19:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Silverbeam wrote on Wed, 01 May 2013 16:34

this week apparently is a holiday or something so apparently everyone is "off".

Coronation of a new King in the Netherlands on top of the standard "May Day" holiday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/01/world/europe/queen-beatrix -to-abdicate-in-the-netherlands.html?_r=0

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67320 is a reply to message #65221 ] Thu, 02 May 2013 11:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bunrattypark  is currently offline Bunrattypark
Go to my shop
I hounded Shapeways on this, as I simply must have fixed print orientation, or I cannot use the service.

We are told here that Shapeways are 'looking' at it. That holds out a false hope. When I pushed them on it, I was told they have no intention of offering it.

So why can't Shapeways just be honest and come out and say so?

I like this service, it's a great idea. But I have had far too many customer complaints of poor quality. At least half of all orders. Mostly due to print orientation, but some through poor or non-existent finishing, and some through packaging damage.

Shapeways are not to be trusted, until they sort out quality control. Quality control is a staple requirement for any business. Shapeways do not have it.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 May 2013 11:54 UTC]

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67328 is a reply to message #67320 ] Thu, 02 May 2013 15:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Bunrattypark wrote on Thu, 02 May 2013 11:53

I hounded Shapeways on this, as I simply must have fixed print orientation, or I cannot use the service.

We are told here that Shapeways are 'looking' at it. That holds out a false hope. When I pushed them on it, I was told they have no intention of offering it.

So why can't Shapeways just be honest and come out and say so?

I like this service, it's a great idea. But I have had far too many customer complaints of poor quality. At least half of all orders. Mostly due to print orientation, but some through poor or non-existent finishing, and some through packaging damage.

Shapeways are not to be trusted, until they sort out quality control. Quality control is a staple requirement for any business. Shapeways do not have it.

Today i got this from service as part of my reply on some issues with an order.

Quote:

Please know that we ALWAYS appreciate your feedback. Don't feel bad to contact us when you are not happy with models you received.
Know that customers like you really HELP our business, you show us that there is space for improvement.

I hear you, please know that defining print orientation is a very popular request and therefor it will be introduced this year. I am afraid to say that I do not have a dead line for this project.

If this person is not lying or being misinformed then I am super excited. Hopefully it will not cost an arm and a leg either. Please don't fail us shapeways!

as for breaking, Unless it is a really fragile part (something I had to fix with my model) I haven't had too much problem there with shipping.

Although once they tap[ed two medium boxes together to make a bigger box to ship my items, while it worked it was kinda awful that it had been done. Didn't bring it up though . Sometimes they use a bigger box than is needed as well, wasting shipping seems kinda silly to me in that respect.

At least service has been nice and helpful, Ive generally had all my claims fixed. Helps to know what is really off and what is just a little off.

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #67364 is a reply to message #67328 ] Thu, 02 May 2013 21:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker is currently online mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Quote:

If this person is not lying or being misinformed then I am super excited. Hopefully it will not cost an arm and a leg either. Please don't fail us shapeways

My guess is that they will offer it as soon as they have enough printers and personnel to counter the inevitable hit in throughput.
There is a reason why "traditional" rapid prototyping is more expensive than what shapeways offers...
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #68499 is a reply to message #67364 ] Wed, 22 May 2013 17:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Origami13  is currently offline Origami13
Go to my shop
I was recently told (emailed - haven't been able to talk to anyone by phone) by Shapeways that my poor quality units ("stepping" on the surface interfering with the text), the ones they re-do, are due to horizontal orientation during printing, and the PERFECT quality units result when our model is printed sideways....BUT Shapeways said they cannot guarantee the orientation for production...at the moment we're at a frustrating stalemate - I have 20 customer orders ready to go, but can't fulfill them until Shapeways tells me they will orient our model sideways every time. I have not received a reply to my email to Shapeways of Friday 5/17 nor of my email to them yesterday 5/21. Help ???

This is a pic of a PERFECT result

index.php?t=getfile&id=32827&private=0

[Updated on: Wed, 22 May 2013 17:44 UTC]

TheILoveYouRose.com
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #68507 is a reply to message #68499 ] Wed, 22 May 2013 19:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Origami13  is currently offline Origami13
Go to my shop
Do I/we assume that EVERY unit produced by Shapeways has "stepping" somewhere on it? So the challenge is to both design and orient the model so the "stepping" occurs in a location that is okay to the designer/producer ??? In our case, the units produced sideways show stepping on the back of the inner petals which is fine by us.

TheILoveYouRose.com
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #68788 is a reply to message #65221 ] Tue, 28 May 2013 15:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi origami,

I'm really sorry this has been your experience.

While we can not guarantee orientation, nor totally eliminate stepping from every design, we do try to accomodate items that get printed many times if we know that one orientation works better than another. Two good examples of this are iPhone cases (for proper fit) and model airplanes (to reduce stepping) so if you do communicate this to the CS team, they usually will work with you to ensure a good print in the future. As is stated on the materials page though, any curved surface is likely to have some stepping, we can not get rid of it all, no matter what orientation.

We are working on getting the machines and our processes better and better though!

Best,

Natalia

[Updated on: Tue, 28 May 2013 15:53 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #69058 is a reply to message #68788 ] Sat, 01 June 2013 20:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
natalia wrote on Tue, 28 May 2013 15:46

Hi origami,
...we do try to accomodate items that get printed many times if we know that one orientation works better than another. ... so if you do communicate this to the CS team, they usually will work with you to ensure a good print in the future....

How exactly should we go about this? AFAIK, there is no way to add a comment to Service at Shapeaways attached to an item. WIll a simple mail to service telling them that a model should be printed with , say, the roof pointing up , be good enough?

Greetings
Dragoman
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #74385 is a reply to message #69058 ] Sat, 07 September 2013 02:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MarkHampton  is currently offline MarkHampton
Go to my shop
Any news on when we will be able to choose orientation or how we let Shapeways know the desired print orientation ?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/twicering
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #74653 is a reply to message #74385 ] Thu, 12 September 2013 11:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi MarkHampton,

I have no updates to share, I'm afraid. It is one of the community suggestions that the community team keeps championing within our company, but we have to prioritize some other issues at this moment. We'll keep you posted!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #74676 is a reply to message #65221 ] Thu, 12 September 2013 16:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MrNib  is currently offline MrNib
Go to my shop
I wonder how we would know what is the best print orientation, unless previous prints turned out poorly with some prior choice of orientation. There would have to be the ability to change orientation for a new print cycle or you might need to reload your model in the different orientation into the system. The file orientation could set the printer orientation by default.

Unless you have some guidelines as or experience you'd almost need to print three orientations and pick the best one that suits your needs, and Shapeways would need to track what the orientation of the different prints were before sending them back. You could put some identifiers on each part or combine them into one part with orthogonal orientations to force all orientation prints in one shot for easier identification. And what if you want some other arbitrary orientation, like 45 degrees relative to some reference plane? You could pre-position the object in your file but I'm not sure if all editors output their data in the same format such that x-y in printer universe is always x-y in the print machine universe.

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #75593 is a reply to message #65221 ] Thu, 26 September 2013 22:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woodsworks  is currently offline woodsworks
Go to all my models
Hi All

To add my $0.10 worth to the discussion, I am usually not concerned about timeframes (luckily) so I would be happy to have printing my model delayed until it was possible to orientate it a particular way and still allow SWys to pack the build-table efficiently. Lets face it, if you receive a part that has not printed properly due to poor choice of orientation and you have to have it re-printed, then you may as well have waited for a 'slot' to have it correctly orientated anyway.

This would then get you the quality you want, without dramatically increasing costs. As I imagine it, smaller models would not suffer any great time delay, and even larger models won't be waiting weeks and weeks longer....I spent ten years designing 'nest' files for CNC cutting of steel parts for ships, you start with as many large parts as will fit on a sheet then look for smaller parts to pack around the big ones, eventually you fit everything on, and efficiency was always very high.

Regards, Paul.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #75893 is a reply to message #75593 ] Tue, 01 October 2013 16:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chapeuxpyrate  is currently offline chapeuxpyrate
Go to my shop
What could be a priority more important than Orientation?

I know I have brought this up before ~ but until I get a satisfactory answer and response to my follow up questions in a forum post ~ I suppose I shall continue to present the issue until I get a thorough and workable answer.

I have asked a couple of questions about this matter ~ as much of what I want to print (and have tried to print) is either a two faced coin design or a pendant design ~ you know, rather flat pieces with detail on both sides ~ Sent off a pendant to be printed and it came back with a beautifully printed backside ~ the important side ~ the actual art work was obviously printed in the wrong orientation to favor this material (white detail) ~ just even looking at the file (doubt there is much looking) would make it obvious to the print tech that this side should be favored for the detail orientation.

After asking the Shapeway guys ~ who have been very nice by the way ~ I rather figured out that my best option was to actually cut the coin or pendant in two ~ slice it right down the middle ~ so I can just glue them back together once I get the prints ~ but it still doesn't solve the issue of our not being able to set or communicate the correct orientation ~ both side of my piece ~ two parts in one STL file ~ are now oriented with both of the detail side in the same direction ~ but who knows ~ a good chance that both would then be printed detail side down (or what ever)!

One of the Shapeway guys, helpfully suggested I set up 4 pieces ~ the same coin ~ Split twice and one pair oriented one direction and "to hedge my bets" orient the other pair the opposite direction ~ "it would cost twice as much ~ but you would have a better CHANCE of getting quality prints.

I appreciate the sentiment and attempt to be helpful ~ but I thought this was a business that touts that it offers a dependable and quality product ~ as we should all ~

I should not have to "Hedge my bets" or try some trick to improve my CHANCE ~ and pay more in the process ~ I should be able to order a product and being informed and thus designing and orienting properly ~ I should get what I expect ~ a quality result ~ Geeze. I make great stuff for Pirates and Renaissance costumers ~ hats. leather and now preparing to use 3D printing to make pirate themed jewelry and custom coins ~ if I sent crap like I got from my recent pendant order from Shapeway ~ I would be summarily tossed into a long boat and sent off to a deserted island with one shot in me pistol.

Orientation should be a high and urgent priority and there should be clear instructions on how and why to set this important aspect of a design. And then... Shapeway should deliver a quality product ~ no guessing, no trickery, no rolling of the dice ~ wasting money AND precious time on avoidable failure!

What I want is a clear and dependable assurance (money back is good, but you can't give me my 2+ weeks plus back, now can you?!) that my model can be sent to you designed for the limitations of the printing process and materials (I seem to know now how to overcome those issues) and your people would and actually send me what I expect.

If I want to gamble I will go to Vegas ~ I want professional quality prints ~ may have to go somewhere else for that too...

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #76322 is a reply to message #75893 ] Mon, 07 October 2013 19:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tsalt  is currently offline tsalt
Go to my shop
While we wait for a solution to the problem, is there a marker or txt file we can submit with our print request to tell you guys which direction we would like to print so you can accommodate us if possible? Maybe an arrow pointing the print direction in the file.

You never answered the question of whether the print stack is laid out by people or machines. If machines use an algorithm to optimize the printer usage there is probably a way to update the algorithm to account for desired print orientations with very little impact on the overall throughput. Let me know if you need help with that. There is a math department where I work an hour north of the city. Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 07 October 2013 20:06 UTC]

Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #76400 is a reply to message #65221 ] Tue, 08 October 2013 20:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Gosric  is currently offline Gosric
Go to my shop
For those of us who make miniatures it is extremely important that we are able to produce a project that does not have huge amounts of stepping distorting its form. Our customers rely on getting a good design that can be painted and used and when one is talking about a detailed 2 inch long ship that stepping can make a big difference. Choice of orientation should definitely be an option
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #76429 is a reply to message #76400 ] Wed, 09 October 2013 09:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Anitatromp  is currently offline Anitatromp
Go to my shop
From what I know it's people that orientate the models.

I think this should be Shapeways most top priority to some how sort this out.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #77615 is a reply to message #76429 ] Sun, 27 October 2013 07:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bunrattypark  is currently offline Bunrattypark
Go to my shop
Shapeways have been 'looking into' fixed print orientation for over two years now, so I think that tells us all we need to know about their commitment to satisfied customers, a quality product, and return business.
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #79799 is a reply to message #77615 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 18:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chapeuxpyrate  is currently offline chapeuxpyrate
Go to my shop
hmm... well it seems that the good folks who work the forums for Shapeways have been told to simply not respond to the issue of orientation and therefore consistency and quality in the final resulting print ~ I have about $200 worth of designs I am ready to have printed ~ I am feeling well inclined to look elsewhere to spend that money ~ Shapeways should be concerned that there are many others who are doing the same. It's all about quality control and thus a quality product ~ I would say that is one of the top priorities for any company wanting to stay in business ~ it is mine.

No response required! HA!
Re: SW GIVE US PRINT ORIENTATION [message #79821 is a reply to message #79799 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 00:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
avatar woodsworks  is currently offline woodsworks
Go to all my models
Yes, I think shapeways could learn a thing or two from the likes of Chris Ward; nothing is too much trouble, and he chooses the orientation to give the best result anyway! What's more, if you are having a batch of identical parts made, per-part price is significantly lower than SW. SW only has a price advantage for low volume/one-offs.

Because I am not prepared to gamble that SW will orientate my parts to give the best result, it is a no-brainer as to where I am going to go.

Paul W.

Pages (2): [1  2    »] 

Previous Topic:Will shapeways print your model ? you might as well roll the dice !
Next Topic:I need help printing. Which files to upload?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.