Home »  » General Discussion » Materials Question (Shapeways)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5346] Tue, 21 July 2009 17:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar randomblink  is currently offline randomblink
Go to my shop
I had a few questions and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask...

1. Does Shapeways offer any 3D printing in a Glow-in-the-dark material?
  2. Can you mix and match materials? Such as creating a car with one of the blue-jean materials but using the see-through material for the windows?
  3. Do we have an update on whether Silver will be offered as a metal?
  4. Is there a clear / see-through material that isn't filmy or translucent? I'm looking for something that is 100% see-through like glass?

Welcome to Costco, I love you.
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5352 is a reply to message #5346 ] Wed, 22 July 2009 00:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ushanka  is currently offline Ushanka
Go to my shop
1. No, but I really hope they do in the future! (Hint hint guys)
2. The only way to do this is to print out the bluejeans parts separately from the translucent parts and then assemble them yourself. Each type of material is made on a different machine, I believe.
3. Not yet...
4. Nope. I know, I'm sad too.
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5356 is a reply to message #5352 ] Wed, 22 July 2009 09:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Thin Transparent Detail is not completely see through. It is a bit milky lets say.

Would a lot of people be interested in transparent materials?

What would you like it for?
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5357 is a reply to message #5356 ] Wed, 22 July 2009 12:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I don't see a point for a transparent material when it would have to printed in separately any way. Mine as well pick up a piece of flat plastic out of your garbage and cut out your windows or what ever. be a lot cheaper then printing them out. Now if we had a multi material print.... mmmmm I can think of the umpteen possibilities. Odd, Mozilla says Umpteen is a word.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5359 is a reply to message #5346 ] Wed, 22 July 2009 13:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I would be interested in a transparent material... eventually.

Being able to make picture frames with a non-standard, unflat picture cover would be sweet, and the candle containers concepts kinda dance around. That and creepy shapes that distort light when placed near a candle would be fun. So yeah...

Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5360 is a reply to message #5359 ] Wed, 22 July 2009 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
From what I have researched on transparent printing materials is that it is not possible right now to print truly transparent, mostly because of air bubbles. Which is why injection molding uses high pressure presses. SLA's are fairly transparent, but they are still milky. That and the surface would require post processes to get rid of surface deformations. If you want a curved piece of clear plastic, take a 2 liter, heat it up in the oven, and press it firmly on the shape that you want it to take (using heat resistant gloves of course). It would be cool to print light bending shapes. The ideas I have would require true transparency though.

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5387 is a reply to message #5346 ] Fri, 24 July 2009 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
Personally i would love it if we could use pure transparent materials for our models. This would allow us to print models that have not only complex exteriors but complex interiors adding another level of detail that im sure many would appreciate
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5389 is a reply to message #5387 ] Fri, 24 July 2009 17:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Would transparent materials only make sense if they were multi material? So one machine prints two materials at the same time?

Or would most be interested in just transparent as a material option as is Dalhimar?

Because both choices would involve different machines/processes.

I've seen some interesting transparent materials but all have their limitations or issues.

If you guys could pick any material what so ever that could be 3D printed, any finish, any look and feel: then what would you want?

Joris
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5392 is a reply to message #5389 ] Fri, 24 July 2009 17:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm going to start a new thread with that as the theme... I think that question deserves it's own thread...

Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5655 is a reply to message #5360 ] Tue, 04 August 2009 03:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 22 July 2009 14:28

From what I have researched on transparent printing materials is that it is not possible right now to print truly transparent, mostly because of air bubbles. Which is why injection molding uses high pressure presses. SLA's are fairly transparent, but they are still milky. That and the surface would require post processes to get rid of surface deformations.

You are correct in that it requires significant post processing to reach a clear finish, but SLA is certainly capable of it. I've have some Clear SLA here on my desk which is about as clear as you'll get an object that can't be finished by using an acetyl flame.

Certainly not easy, but it is possible.
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #5658 is a reply to message #5655 ] Tue, 04 August 2009 12:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
I, as well, have had clear SLA's on my desk. I also have clear PS. The clear SLA is really clear. But it still has a tint to it. And the thicker it is the less clear it is.

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6162 is a reply to message #5658 ] Sun, 30 August 2009 03:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar johngomm  is currently offline johngomm
Go to my shop
Glass is a look and finish that would be sweet. Lensing possibilities could produce some interesting effects on the interior.

direct printing of flexible master molds might appeal to me, if I could repeatedly pour hot wax into them.

Any metal that's cheaper to print. Seeing as steel is 14 cents per pound for raw material compared to 80c/lb for aluminium and copper is over 200c/lb, I don't think that that's going to happen, though improvement on producing the powder that you guys use will probably bring the price down over time.
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6435 is a reply to message #6162 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 12:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Galbot  is currently offline Galbot
Go to my shop
clear resin or coloured plastics. I used clear resins for ages but it was noxious. I'd like to see my original work, when I get around to doing it, in glow in the dark and also in different colours like red, pink, green and blue especially since the cost of getting it made in those colours in bulk through a vinyl factory in China is astronomical.
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6437 is a reply to message #6435 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 12:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
define astronomical, I have no idea how their pricing works.
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6443 is a reply to message #6437 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 16:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
I really like the idea of a truly transparent material, but honestly don't think it's feasible (Or even possible) to accomplish that with 3D printing. I use simple Vacuum molding to create windshields and the such for my models. (RC stuff). You can make a decent windshield at home easily with a homemade Vacuum former, and Shop vac, and a toaster oven.

There is tons of info on DIY Vacuum formers located here.

http://www.vacuumformerplans.blogspot.com/

I made a small one in my shop and have successfully used the plastic from old CD Jewel case to make a few items. I make the form molds out of regular ole wood.
Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 11 September 2009 16:28 UTC]

Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6446 is a reply to message #5346 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 19:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I wish I knew 'someone' like you in real life... figuring everything out on my own with only the internet to walk me through it is VERY FRUSTRATING SOMETIMES...

Windshields for RC are possible to create at home with a shop-vac, toaster and some know-how? wow! Fricking McGuyvers on this site... I love it!

I'm itching to get back to my 3D developing... damn school and motorcycle and programming and tumblr and facebook and all the other umpteen million hobbies and timewasters keep getting in the way... (chuckle)

I decided I'm just gonna suck it up, put a butt-load (it's an American measurement) of little 3D experiments up and order $25 worth... (sigh) What I really need is access to one of these printers locally... (sigh) lol...

Peace all...

Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6447 is a reply to message #6446 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 19:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Move to the Netherlands?
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6448 is a reply to message #5346 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 19:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
print to 3D is in PA.

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6450 is a reply to message #6448 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 20:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm jealous... I would LOVE to have access to one of these...
(well, besides the 'Shapeways' access I already have, I mean instantaneous and at cost)

[Updated on: Fri, 11 September 2009 20:07 UTC]

Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6471 is a reply to message #6450 ] Sat, 12 September 2009 14:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
i've acces to a 3D printer @ school Very Happy
same material is used as the white detail one!

but the vacuum thing looks great,, just $40.. i think you can get very good results of it!
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6493 is a reply to message #6450 ] Sun, 13 September 2009 04:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
randomblink wrote on Fri, 11 September 2009 20:07

I'm jealous... I would LOVE to have access to one of these...
(well, besides the 'Shapeways' access I already have, I mean instantaneous and at cost)

Hehe, you should try running them Smile

I've saved up all the alumide powder that was to be thrown out, and over the weekend I'm building a 300x300x300 of Bathseba's Spikyball (http://www.bathsheba.com/downloads/ scroll down). Its like a present when I get to work Monday morning to see the build completed, and like unwrapping it when Im stripping unsintered support material away from the part.

God knows what Im going to do with it, but it will be awesome to look at Smile
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6523 is a reply to message #5346 ] Mon, 14 September 2009 13:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Just thought of an idea for a material. Pewter. Nice soft flexible and toxic, but it's pewter so we already know that. Not too toxic for my Star Wars monopoly.

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6539 is a reply to message #6523 ] Tue, 15 September 2009 02:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
The trouble with trying to Laser Sinter some of those low-melt alloys is they tend to bead up rather than stay flat. And they don't really have a good obvious glaze point to shoot for when trying to establish machine temperature parameters. And scale factors are incredibly erratic.

I wish I could LS those metals. They'd look great.

Unless of course you're talking about LS'ing these low melt alloys using the same methods that are used to do stainless steel (making a green part and firing it). I've never tried it, or heard of it being tried to be honest.
Re: Materials Question (Shapeways) [message #6660 is a reply to message #6523 ] Fri, 18 September 2009 20:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar tanix  is currently offline tanix
Go to all my models
Modern pewter (more properly known as Brittania metal) is lead-free and non-toxic. It doesn't flow as well as the old lead-based stuff, but you don't have to worry about killing yourself.

I don't really see it being a viable metal for 3D printing, however, but I could be wrong.

Previous Topic:Hi all, new project.
Next Topic:Castaldo┬«’s VLT

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.