Home » Support » 3D Design » Not all embossed letters printed
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Not all embossed letters printed [message #59621] Fri, 04 January 2013 18:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar dcltdw  is currently offline dcltdw
Go to all my models
In the attached model, not all the letters printed out. Instead of "LIHT MEC HEHT GEWYRCAN", I got "IHT M C HEHT E YRC". Anyone know why, and more importantly, how did you figure it out?

I created this via SketchUp.
Re: Not all embossed letters printed [message #59624 is a reply to message #59621 ] Fri, 04 January 2013 18:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
No model?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Not all embossed letters printed [message #59625 is a reply to message #59624 ] Fri, 04 January 2013 18:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Oh, I didn't hit UPLOAD FILE, oops. Smile

Re: Not all embossed letters printed [message #59631 is a reply to message #59625 ] Fri, 04 January 2013 21:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
There are many extra lines on the text which are creating faces on top of faces. The extra lines and faces need to be deleted.
The first image is a screen shot from Netfabb. There are holes in the text, shown by the yellow lines. Shapeways most probably has tried to fill them but having faces on top of each other has filled them in by deleting the letters.
The second and third images are from Sketchup. I have deleted a face so you can see inside. You can see the extra faces and lines which need cleaning. There are extra lines on all of the letters.

index.php?t=getfile&id=25135&private=0

• Attachment: image.png
    (Size: 110.52KB, Downloaded 98 time(s))

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Not all embossed letters printed [message #59632 is a reply to message #59631 ] Fri, 04 January 2013 21:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Aha... okay, I'll look at it again. Thanks muchly for the pointers!
Re: Not all embossed letters printed [message #59634 is a reply to message #59632 ] Fri, 04 January 2013 22:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
This is what you really want. Draw the text on the surface then push/pull the letter surface up. If you look inside the model now, the letters are hollow. As the image shows.

index.php?t=getfile&id=25137&private=0

• Attachment: image.png
    (Size: 18.53KB, Downloaded 81 time(s))

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Previous Topic:Designing a Case for a Samsung Phone
Next Topic:Help needed: How to apply inward curved surface to line model?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.