Home » Support » 3D Printing » How long do these objects last?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How long do these objects last? [message #56476] Thu, 08 November 2012 13:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar zero_hour  is currently offline zero_hour
Go to my shop
I had a customer raise this concern about my 3D Printed products:
Quote:

My understanding of 3D printing is that the object doesn't last forever. After a few months or a few years (maybe) the binding agent breaks down. Maybe the tech is better now but I used to work next to someone who had a few misprints on his desk from his previous job and after about a year it started flaking and then became a powder.

Is this a valid concern? In this specific case I am using Black Detail as the material, but I am curious about the expected lifespan of white/strong/flexible as well.

0 hr: art & technology ( 0-hr.com )
Re: How long do these objects last? [message #56482 is a reply to message #56476 ] Thu, 08 November 2012 14:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The concerns are misplaced, at least for the two materials you mentioned.

Black detail is formed from UV curing a liquid.. there is no binder involved. I don't know about the material's long-term stability, but I've got models here on my desk from 3 years ago with zero degradation.

White Strong Flexible on the other hand is even better... It's nylon. Small 'pebbles' (grains smaller than you can see with the naked eye) of nylon ae melted together by a laser. It's one single material, fused together in an un-separable bond. These models will be around past the next ice age [/joking]

The only material that Shapeways has that might have 'binder' issues would be the two Sandstone materials. I don't know what the long term stability of "superglue" is. The rest of their materials have no binder you need to worry about.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: How long do these objects last? [message #56489 is a reply to message #56476 ] Thu, 08 November 2012 15:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Also note that the stainless items will patina. They will even rust because of the bronze in them. So they won't last "forever" but I don't think I'll be around to see my stainless prints die, unless they are submerged in salt water.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: How long do these objects last? [message #56492 is a reply to message #56482 ] Thu, 08 November 2012 16:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Superglue has problems with "hot and humid" (slow reversal of the curing reaction occurs),
otherwise the "sandstone" should be stable like a rock. (Colors will probably fade long term
if in direct sunlight.)
Re: How long do these objects last? [message #56536 is a reply to message #56492 ] Fri, 09 November 2012 02:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar zero_hour  is currently offline zero_hour
Go to my shop

Ok thanks. Now if I could just get them to quit rejecting models they have already printed multiple times....

0 hr: art & technology ( 0-hr.com )

Previous Topic:Gaps
Next Topic:Confused by a great print

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.