Home » Community » General Discussion » print solid wireframe tool or service?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
print solid wireframe tool or service? [message #56480] Thu, 08 November 2012 14:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar julienb  is currently offline julienb
Go to all my models
Hi !

I am trying to make a quite complex model. I want to solidify the wireframe of a model and get it printed. Blender has python script doing that sort of things, here is a screenshot of the results:

http://s12.postimage.org/jvmdyazq5/wire.png

As you can see, there are some problems (vertices going away from the model) in the head area. Other parts of the model also have internal errors when brought into Netfabb.

All I need is a constant 1.2 mm solid wire model on a 480mm character. Do you guys know a better tool to do that or a company than offer the service of making the wire solidification of a given model ?

Thank you very much !

[Updated on: Thu, 08 November 2012 14:31 UTC]

Re: print solid wireframe tool or service? [message #56490 is a reply to message #56480 ] Thu, 08 November 2012 15:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
I am thinking meshlab can do it. Saw a tutorial on it awhile ago. It used textures to create it. As for the Blender addon Render wireframe you have to be careful to have no doubles and normals are oriented correctly. The main problem with it is that several internal faces are created inside it, making it non manifold. To correct it, there is a fix ;
1. Select mesh in object mode
2. Go into edit mode,vertex select, deselect all (A)
3. To find the nonmanifold vertices Ctrl +shift + alt + m . This highlights the nonmanifold vertices.
4. Deselect all, go into face select mode, select interior faces(under select menu). All of the interior faces should be selected, as well as a few on the surface also. Delete "faces only".
5. Now just deselect all once again, go into vertex select mode, check for nonmanifold (Ctrl +shift + alt + m ), then fill (f) .
The result will be a manifold surface with a defined material volume. This fix also works quit well for anytime interior faces cause problems, arrays, etc.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 November 2012 17:46 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:3D printed Circuit Board
Next Topic:3D Printing Open Survey - If you could make almost anything, what would it be ?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.