Home » Support » 3D Design » The dreaded bump map
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
The dreaded bump map [message #47347] Sun, 22 April 2012 18:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar Giga Bread  is currently offline Giga Bread
Go to my shop
I'm well aware that bump maps can't be used in 3D printing, but a couple months ago a user provided a step by step process on how to "burn" the bump map into the geometry so it can be printed.

Unfortunatley, I haven't been able to locate this in the forum and was wondering if anyone had any idea how to do it.

I predominantly use Sculptris and Hexagon but I am slightly familiar with blender.
Re: The dreaded bump map [message #49939 is a reply to message #47347 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 05:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wiwa  is currently offline wiwa
Go to my shop
I work here
In Lightwave 3D there is something called a "displacement map" that can be mapped onto objects like a standard bump map. The result can be exported into the geometry. You have to subdivide (NURB) or have a very high polygon count to make it work.

I think there would be something similar in Blender; although I haven't used it in maybe 10 years?

Aha: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Textures/In fluence/Material/Displacement

wiwa
Re: The dreaded bump map [message #54179 is a reply to message #49939 ] Mon, 17 September 2012 20:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar MikeP  is currently offline MikeP
Go to my shop
Yes. "Displacement map" is the term. 3dMax does it too.

Displacement maps are usually black and white, similar to a bump map but they effect the geometry directly rather than just the render like a bump map.

The cost is you need to have a suitably dense mesh so the details show up.

Previous Topic:First time - How to get my adobe illustrator logo into 3D?
Next Topic:Animated Colorful Beads