Home » Community » Work in progress » Pinewood Derby Car
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Pinewood Derby Car [message #54038] Fri, 14 September 2012 19:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar Crissy  is currently offline Crissy
Go to all my models
Here is my first attempt at a pinewood derby car for a special division of the race to include "additive manufactured" parts.
Any ideas on 'weighting' the car once it's made?

index.php?t=getfile&id=20536&private=0

• Attachment: Capture 1.JPG
    (Size: 64.76KB, Downloaded 210 time(s))

Re: Pinewood Derby Car [message #54776 is a reply to message #54038 ] Wed, 03 October 2012 09:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Wow, that's a blast from the past.

Some 35 odd years ago, I participated in a Pinewood Derby. My father, at the time, worked on the areospace industry and had a very good understanding of the practicalities of physics and how to optimise the weighting to make the car as good as it could be.

Basically the weight added to the car was as high and as far back as the design rules allowed. We ended up using lead sheet crafted to look like an engine mounted above and behind the rear wheels. The car sort of looked like a top fuel dragster with a rear mounted engine and got 2nd place overall on the day.

Another tip from my more recent days of Lego modelling - use a PTFE/silicone oil to lubricate the axle pins.

Paul
Derby [message #54802 is a reply to message #54038 ] Wed, 03 October 2012 15:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Crissy  is currently offline Crissy
Go to all my models
Hey thanks! The race was last Friday, so it's too late to properly weight my little car now. But this is great info for next time (this Additive Derby is annual). I did lube the axles and that totally helped. The race was a lot of fun (even though I didn't win).

Thanks again for the reply!
Smile

Previous Topic:TriStand QR - iPhone 4 and 5 Cases with inbuilt Stands and QR Codes!!!
Next Topic:Rubber Blaster iPhone 5 Case

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.