Home » Support » 3D Printing » to low polygons? or non phong tag?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53302] Wed, 29 August 2012 15:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar 3gfisch  is currently offline 3gfisch
Go to my shop
Hi
i have printed my fidlrunners turret
http://s1.directupload.net/images/120829/iuprwtln.png
http://s1.directupload.net/images/120829/grdmgk5d.jpg
http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/2997/xhyvoieo_jpg.htm

but it seams to have to low polygons on the 5cm version or are this "riffles" normal by unpolished wsf? but the smaller version doesn't have this and it looks like my polygons..
so is there no "phong-tag" like in C4D it rounds all edges between an specific angle for example 10° so a perfect round shape needs only 360/10 36 polygons i think this is awesome for low file size and perfect results can this be done in print process or have i to upload unnecessary big files with high polygons? if this is possible by printing i think this would be a great feature if you can set the phong angel for your project.
now i update the 3d files for the ball polygons form 80 to 150 is this enough at 5cm diameter?
thx
3gfisch

[Updated on: Wed, 29 August 2012 15:12 UTC]

Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53303 is a reply to message #53302 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 15:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
example
without phong tag / and with
http://downloads.psd-tutorials.de/section-videotraining/img/videotraining-img-big-2286.gif
Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53307 is a reply to message #53303 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 15:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
No, the Phong tag is not supported.
You must add additional faces/polygons to increase the level of detail.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53310 is a reply to message #53307 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 16:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stonysmith wrote on Wed, 29 August 2012 15:47

No, the Phong tag is not supported.
You must add additional faces/polygons to increase the level of detail.

thx
would be a great feature i think ^^

is this enough? is there any rule of thumb how "big" or small one polygon should be on organic or round shapes?
http://s7.directupload.net/images/120829/cf4wifu5.png
Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53316 is a reply to message #53310 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 18:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Going all mathematical on you.. (Sorry, too much calculus in college)... have you heard of the Nyquist theorem?

Quote:

Your sample size should be double main frequency. As in: to accurately sample a 4000hz signal, you need 8000 samples/sec.

What does this mean for 3d printing?? Is Stony off his rocker? Probably.. but it's actually simple.. to get maximum smoothness out of the printer, the faces should be no wider than 1/2 of the "minimum detail" value. WSF has a minimum detail of 0.2mm.. so your faces should not be more than 0.1mm across.

I know, that turns what was simple and tiny into a high-poly model, and is above the 1m triangle limit on large items.

But.. you asked (grin)

Small note: if you select one of the polished materials, you'll lose some detail, but that also means that you will gain smoothness across these facets.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 August 2012 18:05 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53317 is a reply to message #53316 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 18:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ok thx Shocked this are much polys Shocked
Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53318 is a reply to message #53302 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
It's very much like trying to draw a circle with only straight lines. The more lines you use the more circle like it will appear. Easiest thing to do would be to take a piece of sandpaper to your model.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53322 is a reply to message #53318 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 18:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you
But a phong feature would make things easier and files smaller.. ^^
Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53326 is a reply to message #53302 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 19:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The issue there is the printers that work almost exclusively with STL. And STL only uses polygons. I wish nurbs were supported, but to convert a nurb to CNC (pretty much the same language the printers use) requires a lot of code. I'm more familiar with CNC's that generally use G-code. So you tell the cutter move from point A to point B. So a curve would require lots of short little AB lines to appear round. It would be nice to say go from A to B with R radius, but then you move that into 3 dimensions are it gets a whole lot more complicated.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53328 is a reply to message #53326 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 19:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I dont know if i'm right bu i think there must be a program which translates the stl file for the printer and calculate the moving points with acuraty of the printer, and if this calculation not only will calculate the points along the polygon, the calculation culd be improved if you set the phong angle and if two polygons have an lower angle the points will be smooth along thes polygons not straight on in.. Like C4D and other programs can display it in realtime so it suold be not that difficult to calculate the optimized points
Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53334 is a reply to message #53328 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 20:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
That's called Bresenham's algorithm, and the one used by most printers doesn't support phong. (grin)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bresenham's_line_algorithm

Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53335 is a reply to message #53334 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 20:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It shuld be imlementable in the software which generates the printign data Razz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouraud_shading
Re: to low polygons? or non phong tag? [message #53336 is a reply to message #53322 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 20:45 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Machines don't read phong........

Bill Bedford

Previous Topic:purple color on wsf? and sample kit fused?
Next Topic:automated checks

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.