Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » It arrived! » WSF Castle
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF Castle [message #49451] Wed, 06 June 2012 08:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar Oracle of Wuffing  is currently offline Oracle of Wuffing
Go to my shop
A while ago, I explored the idea of printing a replica of an old LEGO design. Shortly after that while ago, I began working on making a larger, more intricate design off of that idea. After that while, I uploaded the model to Shapeways and waited until I got the funds to actually buy it.

index.php?t=getfile&id=17424&private=0

And a few days ago, I bought it. Laughing It's been a wonderful wait, but I think my future models might not be as big as this one. It'll be going into an art show very shortly- like, this weekend, shortly- and I feel it'll be certain to grab a few eyes.

Fundamentally, this is a recreation of LEGO Model number 375, "Yellow Castle," which was among the first full castle models they released. With such a classic model, I felt that the architecture could use some support from the classic arch. This tool creates a visual strength by supporting "heavy" elements at the top- most notably the solid floors- with strong curves that imply a keystone. Likewise, the blocky nature of the upper arches enforces stability on top of a graceful structure that repeats the nature of windows and doors that already existed.

It's probably something that's best seen instead of read of (in this video, particularly), but the model is basically split up into six parts (three in the front, three in the back), all of which were in the same file at Shapeways. The front and back sections snap together in a hinge-like style, allowing the castle to fold outwards. Then, certain parts on either end were printed captive, allowing the drawbridge to work just like in the original model, and then some doors can open and shut just the same. The flag at the top was a bit of a printing snag, but you're looking at a flat sheet of .7mm WSF held together with 1mm strings. Everything else is quite sturdy, and overall, light. Even the UPS guy was surprised at how light the box he handed me was!

• Attachment: wsfcassle.jpg
    (Size: 170.63KB, Downloaded 627 time(s))

Re: WSF Castle [message #49452 is a reply to message #49451 ] Wed, 06 June 2012 08:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar icarus3d  is currently offline icarus3d
Go to my shop
Really nice model Smile
Impressive how strong the model is. Can you bend it in your hands?

I can imagine, that the castle wasn't the chipest print because of the size Laughing
Re: WSF Castle [message #49523 is a reply to message #49452 ] Thu, 07 June 2012 13:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar arklan  is currently offline arklan
Go to my shop
very impressive.
Re: WSF Castle [message #49647 is a reply to message #49452 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 05:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the compliments, everyone!
icarus3d wrote on Wed, 06 June 2012 08:21

Impressive how strong the model is. Can you bend it in your hands?

A lot of the model is reinforced with connections to other parts of the model, so it doesn't bend too well. However, sections like the bar holding up the flags are actually quite flexible.
Re: WSF Castle [message #49878 is a reply to message #49451 ] Fri, 15 June 2012 17:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar carine  is currently offline carine
Go to all my models
I work here
Awesome. Nice touch with the pony Wink

Is it available for purchase?
Re: WSF Castle [message #50393 is a reply to message #49878 ] Tue, 26 June 2012 16:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Maethius  is currently offline Maethius
Go to all my models
Okay, I just have to ask... how much does that sucker cost?
Re: WSF Castle [message #50457 is a reply to message #49878 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 15:25 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
carine wrote on Fri, 15 June 2012 17:44

Awesome. Nice touch with the pony Wink

Is it available for purchase?

My store's a mess, so I haven't quite got around to making it purchasable for others. It could certainly be made available, though, just that I want the shop itself to look kind of presentable first. Smile

Maethius wrote on Tue, 26 June 2012 16:26

Okay, I just have to ask... how much does that sucker cost?

Let's just say that my price at the art show was $400, and that's keeping in mind my own markup and the cut the gallery would take. Laughing I actually made a "filled in" version of the castle first, that's not all wirey, but I never bothered even checking the volume on it, because I knew it'd be a fortune to print!

Previous Topic:Mercedes L 1000 Express (1:32)
Next Topic:Onion Slice