Home » Community » It arrived! » First order- Some problems
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
First order- Some problems [message #49785] Wed, 13 June 2012 18:07 UTC Go to next message
avatar ihphobby  is currently offline ihphobby
Go to my shop
Hi all,

I just got my first sample item from Shapeways (in FUD) and the part looks like it had been post-treated with either a solvent or a clear coat to help remove the support material and smooth the shell a little. Unfortunately, some part of this resulted in a ruined part, with one side melted (!) and distorted, and detail removed. It would have actually been better if the part were just shipped right from the machine, without any cleanup or treatment, as it looks like most of the details were otherwise coming out OK. I have just emailed Shapeways and am awaiting a response.

I have had this first-time problem with other 3D printing services. After making my requirements clear to them, they agreed to ship me future parts with no treatments, and since then, they all look OK. I'd prefer to do any cleanup or treatment work myself.

Can I specify to Shapeways that all parts ordered from my Shapeways shop, whether ordered by myself or the public, NOT be post-treated in any way, and just shipped to the customer right from the machines? Also, can I specify for the order packer to go easy on the bubble wrap? It can distort parts if applied too tightly around the part.

Sorry if I seem picky, but my customers expect a certain level of quality and detail from my company's products, and I need to maintain that. Otherwise, I am new to Shapeways, and I am expecting good things from them.

Thanks!

-ihphobby
Re: First order- Some problems [message #49786 is a reply to message #49785 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 18:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
From another Shapeways customer, I'd recommend you ask all of the above from Shapeways Customer Services direct and be sure to post the answers here as the question about 'raw from the printer' items does pop up occasionally.

Paul

Previous Topic:Boondock saints necklace - It arrived... a long time ago!
Next Topic:In Colors

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.