Home » Community » General Discussion » Material properties - density
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material properties - density [message #48962] Sat, 26 May 2012 08:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar jbrask  is currently offline jbrask
Go to all my models
Hi,

I'm new here, so perhaps I have missed it, but...

It seems to me that the materials properties information on the materials page could benefit from a bit more detail.

In particular, I am missing one property: density, i.e. weight/volume

In my case, I need to know whether the material will float or sink in water, so I need to compare the density to that of water. More generally, I think it would be nice to have the properties listed in terms of actual physical quantities to make comparison with existing materials, and calculations for specific purposes, possible. The sliders on the materials page work fine for comparing the materials on Shapeways among themselves, but absolute numbers would be more general. E.g. give the Young modulus to complement the flexibility slider etc. You are already doing this with the temperature tolerance.

Just a suggestion.

Otherwise, nice site, and thanks for making custom 3d-printing available to all :)
Re: Material properties - density [message #48967 is a reply to message #48962 ] Sat, 26 May 2012 10:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi Jbrask,

and welcome to Shapeways.
For the density of White Strong and Flexible, have a look at this post.
As far as I know, Strong and Flexible materials (White or Dyed) are the only ones that float.

I agree with you: the material pages could have more information in it.

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:magnetic objects
Next Topic:Scale Comparisons?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.