Home » Community » General Discussion » Adjacent cubes (pixels), do they print well?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Adjacent cubes (pixels), do they print well? [message #47131] Tue, 17 April 2012 23:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar joabaldwin  is currently offline joabaldwin
Go to my shop
Hey guys, quick question... If I print a series of cubes, all touching each other at the edges/faces, but not actually as a single combined object, would that cause any trouble in the printing?

For example, if I want to make a pixel-art of cubes, with cubes like this:

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The cubes are individual objects, they are touching but not intersecting. I don't want separate cubes printed, I want one continuous object.

Does anyone know if that'll cause a problem or does the printer see it as one single continuous shape?
Re: Adjacent cubes (pixels), do they print well? [message #47133 is a reply to message #47131 ] Wed, 18 April 2012 00:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar damocles  is currently offline damocles
Go to all my models
Anything you want stuck together should really get hit with a boolean union and be a single mesh.

Sometimes union fails, faces that are just touching can be especially problematic. But often, if you just flip the cube onto a different side, it will work again because the triangles will be different.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 April 2012 01:29 UTC]

Re: Adjacent cubes (pixels), do they print well? [message #47135 is a reply to message #47133 ] Wed, 18 April 2012 01:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
If you have two faces that both have exactly the same coordinates, you are going to get a "Manifold Error"

It's better to have either a microscopic gap or a microscopic overlap. Just don't make them congruent.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Adjacent cubes (pixels), do they print well? [message #47196 is a reply to message #47135 ] Wed, 18 April 2012 23:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joabaldwin  is currently offline joabaldwin
Go to my shop
Understood. I'll make my "pixels" overlap just a tiny bit then. I can just select them all at the end and scale them all up at once, hopefully that'll work.

Thanks guys!
Re: Adjacent cubes (pixels), do they print well? [message #47207 is a reply to message #47196 ] Thu, 19 April 2012 05:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar henryseg  is currently offline henryseg
Go to my shop
You might still run into trouble I think. With two cubes next to each other, then scaled up a bit, there are still faces of each that lie in the same plane. I think it can get confused when taking the union. You might be ok though.

The best way would be to start with a set of points that will be at the centers of the cubes, then build a mesh that figures out the right shape of the union of the cubes. This shouldn't be too hard if you can write a script somehow.

All the script has to do is for each point, look in the 6 directions away from it. If there is a neighbouring point next to it in this direction, do nothing, otherwise put a square into the mesh between the point and where the neighbour point would be.

Then all of the squares taken together make the correct mesh.

Previous Topic:3D-Printed big spiderbot
Next Topic:Some questions about Shapeways