Home » Community » Work in progress » World War 2 Sea Mine
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
World War 2 Sea Mine [message #38040] Sun, 06 November 2011 00:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I will be getting this printed soon. It is a 6cm diameter model of a World War 2 sea mine to be given to someone as a gift; he used to work on the Minesweepers during the war.

Modelled with Groboto and Zbrush. Polypainted vertices only, no texture maps or UV's. Exported straight from Zbrush with no in between steps before uploading to Shapeways.

LINK to model page.

Glenn

index.php?t=getfile&id=11832&private=0

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: World War 2 Sea Mine [message #38220 is a reply to message #38040 ] Wed, 09 November 2011 05:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
I like it, although I am curious about the bowl-shaped base. What is the purpose of the base? I guess it seems unstable without some sort of support. Without knowing the full intent, I'm mystified.
Re: World War 2 Sea Mine [message #38247 is a reply to message #38040 ] Wed, 09 November 2011 17:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks. That's just the angle of the render, I'm afraid. The "bowl" is actually very flat-bottomed and is meant to represent the ocean in which the mine is bobbing up and down in. I simply didn't want a straight edged base, that's all.

Glenn

Re: World War 2 Sea Mine [message #38335 is a reply to message #38247 ] Thu, 10 November 2011 19:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar erckgillis  is currently offline erckgillis
Go to my shop
I like!

Try it the base round and see if it "wobbles" and bobs like a mine at sea. Drill out base and add some lead weight and it would move but stay upright!

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down... Laughing

Ed
ERCK Store
Re: World War 2 Sea Mine [message #38343 is a reply to message #38040 ] Thu, 10 November 2011 21:21 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ahaha, how about I add some explosive to it and make it really interesting!

Glenn

Previous Topic:Designing dice for dice snobs
Next Topic:image Popper question

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.