Home »  » General Discussion » transparent part
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon14.gif  transparent part [message #36651] Fri, 14 October 2011 19:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar minhloc  is currently offline minhloc
Go to my shop
hello,

i have seen this website (rapid prototype machines), and it looks like they are making really transparent parts (pmma). Cool
does anybody know about it ?

http://www.stratoconception.com/index.php?option=com_content &task=view&id=90&Itemid=170&lang=fr

Re: transparent part [message #36652 is a reply to message #36651 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 19:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I don't read the language, but it looks like they cast the transparent parts from a temporary mold

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: transparent part [message #36656 is a reply to message #36652 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Very strange. I read the language and my understanding is that is is not 3D-printing. It is more laser cuting of different individual layers that are then assembled.
How they go from this set of layers to a transparent part is... unclear.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2011 20:35 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: transparent part [message #36658 is a reply to message #36656 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 20:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
They cut many slices in PMMA, then glue the slices. With proper care to avoid contamination and the right glue (solvent, not typical glue), the joints are transparent.
Re: transparent part [message #36660 is a reply to message #36658 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 20:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar minhloc  is currently offline minhloc
Go to my shop
here is an explanation of the process

http://www.stratoconception.com/index.php?option=com_content &task=view&id=21&Itemid=84&lang=en

Previous Topic:Active users?
Next Topic:"Shipped dc ny"

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.