Home »  » Work in progress » How sturdy will this be?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How sturdy will this be? [message #35982] Wed, 05 October 2011 20:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar ohaple  is currently offline ohaple
Go to all my models
Hi, I'm pretty new to shapeways, and after getting the runaround from a cocreator, I decided to just design my own using the 3d popper. http://www.shapeways.com/model/350579/aj___ah_try_2.html?gid =ug

I can probably make the piece a little thicker (thicker lines, not depth) but I was looking for feedback, with this sterling silver pendant be reasonably strong? Good enough for Jewelry?

• Attachment: pendant 2.jpg
    (Size: 44.44KB, Downloaded 96 time(s))

Re: How sturdy will this be? [message #36178 is a reply to message #35982 ] Fri, 07 October 2011 20:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
Well I'm not one to give 3D advice, but I've been experimenting a lot with little swirls and printing rejections. I would suggest downloading netfabb for free and measuring the smallest parts of your model to make sure they line up with the 3D design rules - http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/silver - 0.6mm. I've found the tapered part of my swirls often fallbelow that number leading to a rejection. You could redraw or thicken any parts that fall below that number and repop/remodel and you'll be set.

Great pendant and good luck!
Re: How sturdy will this be? [message #36180 is a reply to message #36178 ] Fri, 07 October 2011 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ohaple  is currently offline ohaple
Go to all my models
Thanks for your input. Smile
Re: How sturdy will this be? [message #36181 is a reply to message #35982 ] Fri, 07 October 2011 20:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
As cadula said you have to keep about the .6mm. Other than that you shouldn't have a problem with your design

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Bringing down the price?
Next Topic:Flexed Text Ring

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.