Home » Community » General Discussion » Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #32756] Mon, 15 August 2011 20:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
At first I liked that there were expected arrival dates on the orders I placed.

But, now I am not sure if it is a good idea. It would be, if orders arrived by those dates, but I have 3 orders now that haven't even been shipped that are past there dates. 2 of them are already 4 days past the listed date.

It looks like the "expected date" has nothing to do with any delays or actual time it will take, but probably just a date based on the amount of days it would take if there were no delays.

Does anyone think that it is more annoying to a customer to see that date, and watch it get passed by, than it would be to not have any date listed?

I have gotten used to long delays with my orders here, so I am asking this question more as a seller of products. Do you think it would annoy our customers less to not have a date listed that will often not be accurate?

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #32757 is a reply to message #32756 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 20:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I think you need a date. I have suggested any delays be added to these "expected" dates. At least something needs to be said when purchasing, as not everyone that orders reads the forum or the blog.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #32758 is a reply to message #32757 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 20:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
I tend to agree with Mike - customers at least would want an expected delivery date, even if we designers aren't so bothered, but it should be a realistic one based on current expectations. If you don't know when you should expect an order, you don't know when to start e-mailing them when it hasn't arrived yet.
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #32759 is a reply to message #32758 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 20:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I agree that a date is very important. If SW would send an update to the date when there are delays, or have some way of giving a more accurate date, that would be fantastic.

But, as is stands right now, the "expected date" seems to be pretty meaningless.

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33147 is a reply to message #32759 ] Tue, 23 August 2011 13:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar perfectphase  is currently offline perfectphase
Go to all my models
The expected dates should be adjusted if there is slippage and emails sent.

I've ordered a sample kit and it's late, which quite frankly is ridiculous given it's something they should have in stock and shipped the next day!

Stephen.
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33152 is a reply to message #33147 ] Tue, 23 August 2011 14:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CGD  is currently offline CGD
Go to my shop
Novaking:

In my order page the date is mark as "expected delivery date", not "expected arrival dates". So that is the day Shapeways dispatch the models, rather than we receive them? Very Happy

Shapeways:
Can you rearrange the order of the list so that newest orders are at the top? I now have to scroll 50 or so delivered orders before I can check on those not delivered. I don't think a lot of people care much about delivered orders?

CGD
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33172 is a reply to message #33152 ] Tue, 23 August 2011 19:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I have an order that was placed July, 23rd 2011 for silver, and it says it is expected on August, 12th, yet here we are, a month after it was ordered, and no sign of it what so ever. Sad

This is the kind of thing I am talking about.

Lincoln

www.Craftosterone.com
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33223 is a reply to message #33172 ] Wed, 24 August 2011 12:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Smolderz  is currently offline Smolderz
Go to all my models
novaking,

I have a question about that order in Silver, did it take long for it to go into "in production" status? Or does it still have the status "Accepted"?

Rob
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33226 is a reply to message #32756 ] Wed, 24 August 2011 13:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Expect an update on delays shortly.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33240 is a reply to message #33226 ] Wed, 24 August 2011 16:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
Hi Novaking,

I'm sorry to hear about this!
Could you please send me an email service@shapeways.com I will have a look at your order right away when i'm in the office tomorrow and see what has happened!
At the moment im traveling back home so I can't have a look!

Thank you in advance Smile
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33247 is a reply to message #33240 ] Wed, 24 August 2011 18:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CWVMODELS  is currently offline CWVMODELS
Go to all my models
I placed my very first order with Shapeways on July 5th, received confirmation of my payment that same day, and confirmation that my item was in production on July 7th. Estimated delivery date was July 29th. I emailed Shapeways on July 28th asking for an update as I had not received any confirmation that my order had shipped and was told they were behind schedule and my order should arrive by August 10th. On August 15th I again emailed as I still had not received any shipping confirmation and received a reply two days later that my order had not yet returned from the polisher but that it "has to be any day now" and that he would get back to me with an update on my order. It is now August 24th and not only do I not have any parts but I've yet to receive any "update to my order". I do a great deal of business with very small mom & pop companies and so I am accustomed to long wait times. However, communication is key to keeping your customers happy. I would offer that if there is nothing that Shapeways can do in regards to the long wait times then at least make a stronger effort to keep your customers informed.

Chad Veich
www.cwvmodels.com
Scale Model Design & Construction
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33250 is a reply to message #33247 ] Wed, 24 August 2011 19:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
latest news
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-status

Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33276 is a reply to message #33250 ] Thu, 25 August 2011 01:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
That page just isn't accurate. My order I mentioned above was silver yet that page says silver is on schedule.

Lincoln

www.Craftosterone.com
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33322 is a reply to message #32756 ] Thu, 25 August 2011 20:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kevinladas  is currently offline kevinladas
Go to all my models
Agreed, you guys are creating expectations you can't live up to. My confirmation email says:

Your order will be delivered on or before August, 23rd

Well, it's August 25th, and the only reason my order is even in process is because I emailed to ask what was going on. I finally got a UPS notification yesterday, but the tracking number shows that the package still hasn't been picked up.

This is a pretty poor way to do business. If this is the best you can do, change the language in your email to something more like:

Your order will be delivered sometime in the next couple months.

I was very clear in my email that this order would have no value to me if it arrived after today. I think I'll call my bank to contest this charge...
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33323 is a reply to message #32756 ] Thu, 25 August 2011 20:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Novaking- I believe that silver had a backlog, but now all orders made today should be delivered on time. I know Jettuh is on the case, I personally emailed Ralph about it, and have talked to Ana. So Shapeways knows about it, and hopefully will get you resolved soon.

kevinladas- Without saying too much, I agree with you about the email, and the checkout screen (it says the same thing). Have you asked customer service for a refund?

Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33324 is a reply to message #33323 ] Thu, 25 August 2011 20:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I haven't asked for a refund yet, but customer service has been very slow to respond to my requests. I asked them to verify whether the UPS package had ever shipped, and still have had no reply. Since the package was supposed to ship overnight, a prompt reply would be appropriate.

At this point, I don't feel like I have much reason to expect results from them.
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33325 is a reply to message #33322 ] Thu, 25 August 2011 20:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
kevinladas wrote on Thu, 25 August 2011 20:12

Agreed, you guys are creating expectations you can't live up to. My confirmation email says:

Well, it's August 25th, and the only reason my order is even in process is because I emailed to ask what was going on. I finally got a UPS notification yesterday, but the tracking number shows that the package still hasn't been picked up.

This is a pretty poor way to do business. If this is the best you can do, change the language in your email to something more like:

Your order will be delivered sometime in the next couple months.

I was very clear in my email that this order would have no value to me if it arrived after today. I think I'll call my bank to contest this charge...

Hi and welcome to Shapeways! Smile

For the material you ordered, what was the status of the material when you contacted customer services?

Did you take into account the expected lead time is working days?

Two days and maybe not updated UPS tracking info does not equate to "Your order will be delivered sometime in the next couple months.
"
... please explain how you deduced that.

Thanks from a happy Shapeways customer,
Paul
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33327 is a reply to message #33325 ] Thu, 25 August 2011 20:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Wow.

Wrong.

One simple fact is in question here. You made a commitment. That commitment was a firm date:

You failed.
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33329 is a reply to message #33327 ] Thu, 25 August 2011 21:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar perfectphase  is currently offline perfectphase
Go to all my models
Totally agreed don't promise what you can't deliver.

Stephen.
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33334 is a reply to message #32756 ] Thu, 25 August 2011 21:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
This was my point of this thread. I think that having a date that it is claimed we will receive stuff is almost as much of a problem as the inability to meet that date.

That is why I asked, if the date will almost never be met, perhaps from a customer's "perceived" sense of satisfaction, the date should either be one that shapeways is 99% sure will be met, or perhaps it shouldn't be given. If people were told a date that it is a week after when SW actually thinks it will get there, and it arrives early, people will think SW is great.

If this is the same amount of time it would take but the date given was a day before it actually arrived, people start to get upset.

The point of this thread was to point out that I am not sure that the date being given when it will often not be met is a good idea for making customers happy. (see proof above)

Managing customer's expectations is important to creating customer loyalty and the perceived value they place on the service.

Lincoln

www.Craftosterone.com
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33339 is a reply to message #33334 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 03:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cem  is currently offline cem
Go to all my models
I don't think it's a good idea either I ordered my stuff on the 2nd August had a delivery date of 16th August and it finally went into production yesterday which means it won't turn up until September.

It seems there was a problem with the machine but I found that out eight days after my order was due via the form, it would be nice if they let you know by email when this happens. Although these models aren't urgent they have thrown out my production schedule as they are masters for getting molds made.

I prefer Ponokos way in that they don't give you a date but you can log into your account and see how far your order is along in it's production ie they actually update it after each step through the chain.

Clair

Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33346 is a reply to message #32756 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 07:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Guys,

thanks for this discussion and your feedback on this. Shapeways is well aware of the fact that due to some backlog the expected delivery date isn't correct.

At this moment this ETA is static. Our IT department is working hard to make this variable, which means that as soon as we know that there is some delay , this date gets automatically adjusted in your My Orders Page.

For the time being there is this page in which you all can check the status on materials:

We feel your pain and we are really working hard on ramping up production and also introducing new features for more accurate ETA's

For all of you out there whose orders haven't been delivered on time, so sorry for all the inconvenience we have caused. Please accept our humble apologies on this.

All the best,

Ralph van den Borst, Shapeways Customer Service manager

@Kevinladas: I Have sent you a PM, Customer Service loves to help you out with this one!

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #33383 is a reply to message #33346 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 16:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapeways customer service has contacted me and is making a good effort to remedy the situation.
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36056 is a reply to message #32756 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 17:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ddurant  is currently offline ddurant
Go to all my models
This thread's a bit of a bummer..

I've been wondering why my 1st Shapeways order, which still says I should expect delivery today, says "in production." Sad

This could have been communicated better. A clear note saying "crap - we're running behind" would have been much nicer.
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36057 is a reply to message #32756 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 17:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
What material did you order in? I know recently there has also been an issue with items arriving with out notice. But an email to service@shapeways will answer what is going on with your order.

I asked about materials because some are still a little delayed.

Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36098 is a reply to message #36056 ] Fri, 07 October 2011 02:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ddurant  is currently offline ddurant
Go to all my models
Quote:

What material did you order in?

I've got grey robust, black detail, dark grey s&f, sandstone and a sampler pack. Both the gray and sandstone show 2.5 weeks behind.

Dunno how they organize the sampler - hopefully that's not something they print on-demand and have a bit of stock built up..

I'm not in a hurry to get this stuff but it would have been nice to know there was a delay. Bit of a let-down that could have been avoided with an email..
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36102 is a reply to message #36098 ] Fri, 07 October 2011 04:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sorry to hear about your delay. The worst one for me was more than one and a half months after I was supposed to get the item.

What you mentioned about getting an e-mail is the whole point of why I started this thread.

Even if nothing can be done to speed things up, I feel people's perceived value of SW can be strengthened by not promising a date that isn't likely to happen.

Lincoln

www.Craftosterone.com
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36194 is a reply to message #32756 ] Sat, 08 October 2011 04:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coolbutpointless  is currently offline coolbutpointless
Go to all my models
My most recent order for WSF has been sitting on "accepted" as the status since I placed my order and it's supposed to be delivered on this coming Monday(a holiday here in the states) and even though I sent a message asking about it it's now a weekend so I won't hear about it until Monday at the earliest!

I think "expected" could be replaced with "estimated" and they could just make it so our orders show a log of every change to the status and when it happened/why as opposed to just changing and not saying when it changed.

That said, I think a "guaranteed done by date" is an important thing because otherwise they have an open ended "you'll get it someday" guarantee. But if you can't keep to a specific date then just have a general sweeping "Orders of this type usually take (however long a particular material takes). Updates will be made as available!" and then just make updates as they become available.
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36220 is a reply to message #32758 ] Sat, 08 October 2011 20:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Silverbeam  is currently offline Silverbeam
Go to my shop
Drawn-Steel Hero wrote on Mon, 15 August 2011 20:35

I tend to agree with Mike - customers at least would want an expected delivery date, even if we designers aren't so bothered, but it should be a realistic one based on current expectations. If you don't know when you should expect an order, you don't know when to start e-mailing them when it hasn't arrived yet.

I agree, I haven't had an order be "on time" since before 2011.....

SEE ETSY SHOP: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Silverbeam
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36385 is a reply to message #36220 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 02:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DavidSohlstrom  is currently offline DavidSohlstrom
Go to my shop
Shapeways delivery times seem to have gone out the window. It use to take a week to 10 days. I just placed an order and they are talking Nov 4th or 25 days out. That puts a real crimp in my time line. I need RPs as quickly as possable and the time lines were good before the price increases.

Dave
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36398 is a reply to message #36385 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 05:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CGD  is currently offline CGD
Go to my shop
One of my customer ordered stuff from my Shapeways shop. The "Expected delivery date" was and still is Oct 4. Now it is Oct 11 and nothing shipped.

Why am I concerned? Because the customer wants to "launch" those products in an exhibition event later this month. What happens if the items are arrived late? There will be no "launch". He won't get any sales and decreased future orders; I in turn will get decreased or none future orders from him; and in turn Shapeways get less or none orders from him.

What is worst, customers' money is already paid to Shapeways. Shapeways does not ship the items, customer won't have things to sell and hence no turnover. No turnover, no money to reinvest.

It is good to have an expected delivery date. But it won't make any sense if the date is not met. Okay, if the date is one or two dates off, if customer service advises us the reason and update the date, we can understand and most important of all, make contingency plans.
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36405 is a reply to message #32756 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 09:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
My first order about a month ago was on time, I think(2 full weeks from order to arrival).

My previous order I think got ignored for a while before finally being canceled after my CS inquiry. I was issued a coupon today for the value of said order after my CS inquiry but it had an expiration date of today. After a 10 day delay in someone determining the fate of my previous order they give me a coupon that expires the same day it's issued? I'm just fortunate I had things I wanted to order anyway or I'd be dealing with trying to get my almost $200 back.

But again, my first order went off without a hitch and the item turned out great. I'll be intrigued to see if "8 working days" holds true for my current order. By my math and the 8 working days note on my order I should receive my item by by the middle of next week- by the orders math I should receive it exactly 2 weeks from now- I'm guessing it will turn out someplace between the two.
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36406 is a reply to message #36405 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 11:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
are you sure the cupon does not expire 1 year from today? I have on a few times had a short mental lapse and thought it expired right away when it said clearly 2012 on it.

I think expected delivery dates are a very important thing. However you should take how long you expect it to take and add 2 days for unforceens. The customer will be more at ease if it comes a day or 2 early then if there is a deadline and it comes right on time or worse late.

UPS often tells me it is expected on a serten date. Not once has it ever arrived on the date they said.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36409 is a reply to message #36406 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 12:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
I had a delay on FUD of a month, despite the material page saying they were only 2 weeks behind. Luckly I got the order a week before I needed it for an compo.

Surely the delivery date should be 10 days + delay = Delivery Date.

A delivery date is pointless if it doesn't take into account delays on materials.

Regards,

Jack
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36412 is a reply to message #36409 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 12:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
it should be

10 days + delay + margin = Delivery Date.

margin=2day

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36420 is a reply to message #36406 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 15:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
mctrivia wrote on Tue, 11 October 2011 11:25

are you sure the cupon does not expire 1 year from today? I have on a few times had a short mental lapse and thought it expired right away when it said clearly 2012 on it.

Cut and pasted from the e-mail: Valid Till: 10th October 2011
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36421 is a reply to message #36420 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 15:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
send them an email. they will fix it.

Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36422 is a reply to message #32756 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 15:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Oh, it's not a huge deal. Fortunately I had a couple of items I was planning to order anyway so I used the entire thing on those. It was just a shock when I opened the e-mail to copy the code into the order page and I noticed it said 2011!
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36423 is a reply to message #36421 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 15:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Silverbeam  is currently offline Silverbeam
Go to my shop
Yeah the coupon dates are invalid.

I have never had one expire on me... I just used one that was supposed to expire 6 months ago....

I also love that they don't even tell you that they are late.

Instead of changing the prices and adding shipping don't you think that shape ways should have fixed this first?

I mean if only they hired ONE person to deal with customers and delays, that would be a big help, or set up an automatic email that if the expected deliver date has passed and the order is still in production to send an email to contact them for more info with an apology, that would be nice.

I mean SOMETHING! anything. If there was anyone besides shapeways that had these prices I would have left ages ago.

I am starting a new career business of miniature ball jointed dolls and My first experimental doll has been due since September 30th. (it was in wsf a "on time" material.

I need to get this doll to see if it works and if I can have a future career or not. This is very important to me! I have been building up lots of followers and beta testers.

no one can proceed with their businesses like this. Forget price changes and making confusing web interfaces , get this fixed first!

SEE ETSY SHOP: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Silverbeam
Re: Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea? [message #36426 is a reply to message #32756 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 16:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Wow that is late, have you contacted shapeways about it? As for all your points, very valid, and are heading in that direction (as far as the communication goes, don't know about the one person to handle it all)

Pages (2): [1  2    »] 

Previous Topic:Walls thinner as recommandation
Next Topic:FUD/FD Design Rules [draft 2]

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.