Home » Support » 3D Design » "Mesh is not sane!" error
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
"Mesh is not sane!" error [message #31050] Mon, 18 July 2011 05:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar javelin98  is currently offline javelin98
Go to my shop
I'm new to this whole 3D design and uploading thing, but I thought I was doing okay with it until a few days ago. I had a design that was uploading just fine until I made a few minor changes. Now when I try to upload it, I get an email saying that there was an error with it. The email simply identifies the error as "Mesh is not sane!" (with the exclamation point and everything).

I haven't found that phrase anywhere on the internet, the Shapeways site, or the Sketchup forums (I'm using the free version of Sketchup 8). Has anyone encountered this error before, and how do I fix it?

Thanks!
jav98

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2011 05:18 UTC]

-={ National Cheese Emporium! }=-
Purveyors of Fine Wargaming Miniatures
(and certainly not contaminated by cheese)
Re: "Mesh is not sane!" error [message #31054 is a reply to message #31050 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 07:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Hmm, that does sound a little unusual, that most likely means it is not watertight?

I will check with developers.

Cheers
Re: "Mesh is not sane!" error [message #31079 is a reply to message #31054 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 12:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar barrys  is currently offline barrys
Go to all my models
I work here
In this particular case it gave the error because 2 of the 3 points of a triangle were on the same place, while it assumes that all points of a triangle are on different positions.

You can also see that in meshlab for example when you open the model. It gives a warning:
Warning mesh contains 0 vertices with NAN coords and 14 degenerated faces.
Corrected

So apparently meshlab can already fix those and therefor our Meshmedic should fix those as well (I'll suggest that to the developers of our MeshMedic).

The error message is usually returned when the geometry of a model is not correct.

Best,

Barry
Re: "Mesh is not sane!" error [message #31166 is a reply to message #31079 ] Tue, 19 July 2011 20:45 UTC Go to previous message
avatar javelin98  is currently offline javelin98
Go to my shop
Hmmm... Accutrans doesn't play with Collada files, so that's out. Netfabb only works with STL files. I can't even find a link to the Problem Visualization tool.

MeshLab supposedly fixed the design, but in doing so, it blew the design up to being 3444mm x 3937mm x 1161mm, which is the size of a small car, rather than the 100mm x 62mm x 25mm as it was designed to be. I have no idea how to shrink it back down again, either.

-={ National Cheese Emporium! }=-
Purveyors of Fine Wargaming Miniatures
(and certainly not contaminated by cheese)

Previous Topic:Blender 2.5x measurement/ruler tool
Next Topic:Stickers on a curved surface

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.