Home » Community » It arrived! » 5" Live steam cab plates.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
5" Live steam cab plates. [message #30213] Tue, 05 July 2011 10:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar reecejames  is currently offline reecejames
Go to my shop
Hello guys!

I'm back with my latest set of creations! Cab plates for a live steam engine!

index.php?t=getfile&id=9807&private=0

These are quite small, 35-50mm across and the text is extruded 2mm to allow for painting.

Interestingly, I had 4 of these pieces fail QA as being 'yellow'. Due to the lead times, I had them shipped and it turns out they were covered in the wax support material! Fortunately alcohol dissolves it and they painted up fine from there.

Love this new material!

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: 5" Live steam cab plates. [message #30218 is a reply to message #30213 ] Tue, 05 July 2011 12:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
These look fantastic!

Would you like to share the preparation and painting procedure?

Duann Scott

Re: 5" Live steam cab plates. [message #30224 is a reply to message #30218 ] Tue, 05 July 2011 13:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Certainly Smile

You will need;
Alcohol (Spirytus is my cleaning weapon of choice)
Paintbrush
Pin
Scalpel
Small container for soaking the job
Felt lined foam paint roller

I cleaned each of the plates with pure alcohol, making sure that all of the support wax was removed. This was probably the most important step as there was large amounts of wax left over from manufacture. Even if they don't look waxy, it is amazing what comes off in alcohol.

index.php?t=getfile&id=9810&private=0
Cleaned above, yellow waxy below

Cleaning in alcohol was accomplished with a stiff paintbrush and a combination of stabbing or brushing action. This didn't seem to bother the more fragile text such as full stops. If left to dry, the wax will reset on the job. I found using a very soaked brush and a flicking action, while holding the job vertically, removed the majority. I floated them in a container of alcohol and brushed them some more to remove/dilute the last of it.

Painting was done in a warm room using a can of automotive acrylic. Two coats were applied, 20 minutes apart. The 2nd was much more liberal and attempted to float as much paint into the job as possible.

Once tack dry after 30 minutes, I took them inside and used a scalpel to press down any paint that had bridged between the letters and a pin to ooze paint out from between the R,B,S,P etc. (I own a field microscope for soldering, so this is very easy at 10x magnification) The job was then left to dry for a couple of hours.

To complete, I used a small foam and felt point roller and Humbrol gold paint. This was applied to the roller and then carefully dabbed across the job. I try to complete this step in one coat as it takes forever to dry and you lose detail on subsequent coats.

A note on alcohol selection. I've used Spirytus for most of my cleaning needs, this includes PCB cleaning and also camera lens repair. I've had mixed results with isopropyl, methyl ethyl ketone, acetone and methylated spirits. They all leave a residue which is not conducive to painting smaller objects.

If there's anything else anyone wants me to expand on I'm more than happy to.

• Attachment: FUD Issue.jpg
    (Size: 109.59KB, Downloaded 500 time(s))

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2011 14:01 UTC]

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: 5" Live steam cab plates. [message #30236 is a reply to message #30224 ] Tue, 05 July 2011 16:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SIXTHSCALE  is currently offline SIXTHSCALE
Go to my shop
those painted up beautifully!!!
Re: 5" Live steam cab plates. [message #30321 is a reply to message #30236 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 01:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MuseumofSmallThings  is currently offline MuseumofSmallThings
Go to my shop
Very nice indeed, great paint job. At first look i thought they were Stainless Steel prints so you had me fooled. Thanks for the paint prep info too. Well done.

Leigh

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/most
Re: 5" Live steam cab plates. [message #30333 is a reply to message #30321 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 05:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Very impressive painting results. Congrats.

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: 5" Live steam cab plates. [message #30402 is a reply to message #30213 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 18:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
For flat, even height, text, etc, I would also recommend a handheld printers brayer...

Glenn

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2011 18:39 UTC]

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: 5" Live steam cab plates. [message #30419 is a reply to message #30213 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar eTraxx  is currently offline eTraxx
Go to my shop
Curious what the heck "Spirtus" was .. found this online ..

A rectified spirit, rectified alcohol, or neutral spirit is highly concentrated ethanol which has been purified by means of repeated distillation, a process that is called rectification. It typically contains 95% alcohol by volume (ABV). Rectified spirits are used in mixed drinks, in the production of liqueurs, for medicinal purposes, and as a household solvent.

A rectified spirit that is commonly available in the United States is Everclear, bottled by Luxco. Everclear is available in both a 95% ABV (190 US proof) version and in a version diluted to 75.5% ABV (151 US proof), although some states have banned the 190-proof variety.

A brand of rectified spirit labeled as Spirytus Stawski is imported from Poland to the United States by Stawski Imports of Chicago, Illinois. One can also purchase (at least in the Chicago area) imported rectified spirit with the Polmos label. Both brands are available in a 95% ABV (190 US proof) version and in a version diluted to 76% ABV (152 US proof).

Interesting!!

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2011 21:18 UTC]

Re: 5" Live steam cab plates. [message #30423 is a reply to message #30419 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 21:32 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Importantly, it is pure ethanol and not denatured. Denatured cleaning spirits tend to leave their own oil or residue behind that causes issues with painting, soldering, lens cleaning etc.

Also a brayer would probably work, though I am unsure of the quantities required to initially coat the roller. The other issue I can see is that these really need to be painted in a magnified environment and larger tools tend to be more hindrance than help. The felt coated sponge roller works for me due to the small size and the small amount of paint required to coat part of the roller.

I will take a photograph of the assembled engine, pointing out the Shapeways printed items. There's a few on there!

Reece James
Integration Engineer

Previous Topic:End = Beginning mobius
Next Topic:secret keeper!