Home » Community » General Discussion » Whoa! many error messages
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Whoa! many error messages [message #27638] Mon, 16 May 2011 22:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar alienology  is currently offline alienology
Go to my shop
Whoa!

I just found eight (-8-) emails in my inbox from Shapeways telling me that these 8 models are not OK anymore.

The thing is.... 7 of them were printed OK more than year ago. I will not print these models again (probably) so I am not in panic but...I am curious as to what's going on? These were OK STLs - they still are.
Did anyone else get similar messages?

So, OK,in each of e-mails (and they are all the same automated emails) it says in the first line:
"Please be aware we are running some model process updates at this moment of old models. These may cause the below error message...."

then it goes on about "....model used to be hollow and now it isn't anymore...." (not applicable to my models because they need NOT to be hollow to begin with, so, you know, they were not hollow".)

but really confusing part is next paragraph: " (model)....didn't pass all the checks that we run to make sure a product is printable. Here's the error message:

The fileformat of your object cannot be processed by our software. Please investigate the problem and try again."

I don't understand... so error is now that "fileformat" can't be processed?
I mean, that's STL there, and, as I said, it worked OK in the past. I can open it here in various apps.

I am now concerned I will get more such messages for rest of my models.

What gives?

TNX

[Updated on: Mon, 16 May 2011 22:32 UTC]

Re: Whoa! many error messages [message #27639 is a reply to message #27638 ] Mon, 16 May 2011 22:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Have you seen this recent blog post?

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Whoa! many error messages [message #27640 is a reply to message #27639 ] Mon, 16 May 2011 23:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jsimms  is currently offline jsimms
Go to all my models
I got a similar emailsaying one of my designs could not be printed, though it was printed nicely long ago...........
Re: Whoa! many error messages [message #27641 is a reply to message #27639 ] Mon, 16 May 2011 23:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar alienology  is currently offline alienology
Go to my shop
um.... not I haven't. Thanks for the link.

This explains why I got these e-mails but, still, there is no need for hollowing out anything in my models.

That's why it seems mesh medic is mis-interpreting something. Probably when merging shells into one something weird happens and then it thinks hollowing is needed. Not good.
last month I had (maybe related) problem meshing with one of my "Clothoid" lamps when 70K triangles in STL turned into more than 500K (which was the limit at the time).

I suspect this is another one of meshmedic issues - but still I puzzle about that sentence saying: " fileformat of your object cannot be processed by our software. "

kinda confusing
Re: Whoa! many error messages [message #27646 is a reply to message #27638 ] Tue, 17 May 2011 00:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
What you need to see is http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5258&a mp;start=0&
There was an error. 8 is better than 89 Razz

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Investment casting
Next Topic:Tiny printer, high resolution

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.