Home » Support » 3D Printing » 2 types of material in the same object?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
2 types of material in the same object? [message #18635] Sat, 02 October 2010 11:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar synthercat  is currently offline synthercat
Go to all my models
Since I am new here... can we have 2 types of material in the same object? have like a metal cube with holes files with white transparent for example or should I order them as 2 different items but model a cube with a hole/opening/somthing so I should place the transparent in the cube myself?

Thank you
Re: 2 types of material in the same object? [message #18636 is a reply to message #18635 ] Sat, 02 October 2010 13:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Each different material has to be a different object/order as the different materials are printed by different methods.

You can find out more about the processes involved by looking at each different material from the Materials Page... iirc most (if not all) of the material pages have videos showing what happens.
Re: 2 types of material in the same object? [message #18643 is a reply to message #18636 ] Sat, 02 October 2010 20:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
I am quite sure I read somewhere that the detail materials (transparent detail, white detail and black detail) could be mixed into a single printed model, but i cannot find where... Sad
Re: 2 types of material in the same object? [message #18647 is a reply to message #18643 ] Sun, 03 October 2010 00:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chris89  is currently offline chris89
Go to my shop
it's on the objet website (which makes the printers).
It is possible, but i'm not sure how to set it. It would probably cost shapeways too much effort/time to manually select which parts of the meshes should be which material.
Re: 2 types of material in the same object? [message #18654 is a reply to message #18647 ] Sun, 03 October 2010 07:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Yes, the main issue is certainly to specify into the 3D file which material to use or more exactly which proportion of each materials to use on each volume cell (voxel). The textures allow you to do so on the surface of the volume, and you could interpolate from the starting point to the ending point, but I guess the result would be different depending on the printing direction.

Previous Topic:Why more expensive than should be?
Next Topic:OBJ to STL question

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.