Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Multiple materials possible in a color model?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #17837] Thu, 16 September 2010 09:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar MetinSeven  is currently offline MetinSeven
Go to my shop
Hi,

I was wondering: is it possible to print multicolor models colored by different materials in stead of textures?

For example, the 3D models in this scene are created using only different materials on selected polygons, no bitmaps:

http://www.sevensheaven.nl/images/producten/voxel-3d-pixel-art-dots-illustration_steve-jobs-statue-monsters-inc-pixar.jpg

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Metin Seven — Dutch designer and visual artist. Creates and sells 3D prints and art prints — www.metinseven.com
Re: Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #17844 is a reply to message #17837 ] Thu, 16 September 2010 10:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar arno  is currently offline arno
Go to all my models
Hi,

Yes, we also support color by using material definition in the vmrl and x3d.

Kind regards, Arno
Re: Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #17847 is a reply to message #17844 ] Thu, 16 September 2010 11:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Dank je Arno! Smile

Is it necessary to export the model as a VRML or X3D file to make use of multi-material based coloring, or are other 3D formats such as 3ds or Obj supported as well?

Are there any other guidelines I should follow when preparing my model for multicolor printing?

Thanks again.

Metin Seven — Dutch designer and visual artist. Creates and sells 3D prints and art prints — www.metinseven.com
Re: Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #17852 is a reply to message #17847 ] Thu, 16 September 2010 13:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Sevensheaven,

I love your cartoons, it's good to see you here!

We currently only support VRML and X3D for color models. Also keep in mind that these file formats treat 1 unit as 1 meter, so model small. For the rest: if your preview shows it correctly you should be all set.

If you run into any problems with your project, please get in touch with me: bart@shapeways.com.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #17854 is a reply to message #17852 ] Thu, 16 September 2010 13:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Many thanks Bart, I'm flattered to read that you know and like my work, much appreciated.

I will soon prepare and upload my first full-color test model. Can't wait to fully go for Shapeways!

All the best,

Metin

Re: Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #17962 is a reply to message #17854 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 13:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
A few more questions, sorry:

- When I create a model, is it necessary to create an opening somewhere in the model, in order to enable removal of the support material?

- Is there a minimal wall thickness for a hollow model?

- If there are only materials with different colors in my VRML97 model, do I still have to pack the model in a Zip file, even if there are no textures?

- Is setting the units in 3ds Max to meters and then scaling the model to the desired size the right way to ensure the correct 3D print dimensions?

Thanks again!

Metin

[Updated on: Mon, 20 September 2010 13:04 UTC]

Re: Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #17982 is a reply to message #17837 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 17:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Update:

I've been busy preparing my first full-color model with multiple materials, but after the upload it shows as black, as if the different materials aren't exported along with the model from 3ds Max.

I've tried the standard VRML97 exporter and the free X3D exporter from Fraunhofer, but both files show up looking all black in the generated Shapeways preview.

When I check both the VRML97 and X3D file in Notepad, there's only one material entry at the start, no multiple materials, as if the 3ds Max exporters only look at the first material from the multi-material set.

I've also got the feeling that the price is too high for a hollow model. I guess the model is regarded as a solid volume.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 September 2010 18:07 UTC]

Re: Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #17985 is a reply to message #17837 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 18:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If you put up the VRML I'll check it out, or if you don't want everyone to see it you can email it to me at youknowwho4eva@gmail.com. What software are you exporting from? Are you using different materials or different color attributes?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #18052 is a reply to message #17985 ] Sun, 19 September 2010 17:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
loved your work @ Nu.nl!

hope to see printed models from you soon!
icon14.gif  Re: Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #18083 is a reply to message #17837 ] Mon, 20 September 2010 11:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks a lot guys!

In the mean time I've been experimenting some more and had some correspondence with the Shapeways team, so I guess the solution is very near now. When I'm done I'll post my tips over here.

Cheerio,

Metin

Re: Multiple materials possible in a color model? [message #18162 is a reply to message #17837 ] Wed, 22 September 2010 17:29 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Hi again,

In the mean time everything seems to be allright. Here's the result.

What I've learned:

- Always compress your 3D file in a Zip before uploading it, even though the upload info text mentions you can also directly upload WRL files.

- If your model is hollow, be sure to create a hole from the outside to the inner space of the model in order to have the model recognized as hollow in stead of solid. More info about that can be found over here.

Thanks again for offering your help.

Cheers,

Metin

Previous Topic:Cleaning Detail of its Gel gunk
Next Topic:changing color under UV?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.