Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Contest classifacation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Contest classifacation [message #1675] Wed, 22 October 2008 12:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop

Should there be a "Novice" and "Experienced" section for contest?[ 7 vote(s) ]
1.Yes 4 / 57%
2.No 3 / 43%

I know that there are a lot of people here that are professionals and novice modelers and animators. This leads me to think that because of the large gap in skills due to experience and/or training that contest should contain divisions.

Basically i mean people that are newer to the field should get a separate contest in a sorts labeled as novice (or some other term appropriate) so that the works they produce are not compared to that which experienced professionals create.

For example, there are some people here such as aws357, daddymack , and Whystler who have been doing this in a professional capacity for some time. They have produced amazing models that put those that are newer and still developing their skills cannot truly hope to compete against.

I would include myself, along with some people that are also newer to this. Ile not include names for sake of their dignity, but i will be one of the first to say that i am still a novice/ammeture and would greatly appreciate a slightly fairer voting system that dosnt put the best against the new.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2008 13:02 UTC]

Re: Contest classifacation [message #1677 is a reply to message #1675 ] Wed, 22 October 2008 15:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop

I voted yes,

I think there should be contests occasionally that are particularly geared towards novices.

Even though I voted yes, I'm not sure if having two divisions is the key. I mean, in the contests so far there has been a goal: create an item that Shapeways will be proud to show at one of their conferences. So, in this case, the best should be showcased, especially during this early time when Shapeways wants to generate interest in their business.

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Contest classifacation [message #1681 is a reply to message #1675 ] Thu, 23 October 2008 09:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar frigi  is currently offline frigi
Go to all my models
Apart from waht Whystler just said there's also a problem about how to determine who's "novice" and who isn't.
Who decides it and according to which rules?

I'm not really convinced with that so far...
Re: Contest classifacation [message #1687 is a reply to message #1675 ] Thu, 23 October 2008 17:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
This could be done by having a general selection of impartial individuals by the community to judge the person on a scale of 1 to 5 individually. Then after each judge has determined the score(make a standardized gradescale) they average and if above a certain score, they should not be considered novice.
The things taken into account should be things like
Training:: Schooling and previous jobs that required skill or trained the individual.
Quality of current work:: use a sketch chosen by the judges and then give 5-10 days to create an accurate representation with the persons own twist(more detail, small changes etc) while maintaining he general idea.
And some other things, gota go for now though. Will post more specifics when i get a chance

Previous Topic:Contest notifacation
Next Topic:Broken models...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.