Home » Community » General Discussion » Questions about the gold plating.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Questions about the gold plating. [message #14242] Fri, 02 July 2010 01:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar derekh  is currently offline derekh
Go to all my models
Hey all, was wondering a couple things.

First off, love the gold plating. Any idea whether or not it will be back at some point?

Second question is if not, or if not soon, are there any special steps that had to be taken with the stainless material to be able to successfully plate it in gold, or was it pretty straightforward?
Re: Questions about the gold plating. [message #14247 is a reply to message #14242 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 07:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi derekh,

I can't be sure if it'll return. We introduce many new materials to learn:

a) how reliable we can produce it.
b) how popular the material becomes within the community.

Judging from the reactions in the community, it's popular enough Smile Time will tell!

And about the production process: I believe it's done using electroplating. As steel is already conductive, we just need to clean the models up a little and then we're good to go!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Questions about the gold plating. [message #14267 is a reply to message #14242 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 12:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
you have my vote for gold.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Questions about the gold plating. [message #14433 is a reply to message #14242 ] Tue, 06 July 2010 15:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar xpeace  is currently offline xpeace
Go to all my models
I tried to galvanize a model, this is really hard todo on stainless steel - as base for Gold you have to use a Nickelplating - this has really one big disadvantage - Nickel is a really hazardous material - on the skin it will always result in an allergical reaction - if the Gold plating gets worn off during time - the nickelbase plating will appear - customers won`t be happy about this ...

Nevertheless I plead for Gold Plated Models as they are

A Not only very nice - but also
B Reflect a high Value
C Are Ways easier to Galvanize to silver, copper ... or other materials or simply to manually increase the Gold Layer thickness.

Greetings Friedemann Wolpert
Re: Questions about the gold plating. [message #14440 is a reply to message #14242 ] Tue, 06 July 2010 19:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jdl  is currently offline jdl
Go to all my models
For Shapeways to successfully gold plate your Stainless Steel models, we need an eyelet on which we can hang your model to be able to submerge it in the gold bath.
Also should you want to listen Bart's Shapeways live (planned again for tomorrow - for dates and times see http://www.shapeways.com/community/events) he will always gives most up-to-date info on what our plans are for materials, site developments, etc.

Previous Topic:(electric) conductivity of stainless steel
Next Topic:Go Netherlands for the World Cup!!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.