Home » Community » Work in progress » Mosaic
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Mosaic [message #11499] Tue, 06 April 2010 21:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Today, I tried to make a fake mosaic.
Basically, I took a very low resolution picture and mapped it to a tiled 4x3 rectangle.
Of course, it is intended to be in Full Color Sandstone. I don't know exactly what the color of the joins will be (I just put no color), but hopefully the result should be interesting.
Here is a rendering:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3181&private=0

The size is 10x7.5cm approximatively and the thickness is 3 to 4mm.

What do you thing ? Should I do a co-creator ?

• Attachment: Mosaic1.jpg
    (Size: 15.16KB, Downloaded 261 time(s))

Re: Mosaic [message #11673 is a reply to message #11499 ] Sun, 11 April 2010 17:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I decided to make it a co-creator so that I can particpate to the Co-Creator Contest Very Happy

(is a feeling or am I the only one answering my own posts ? Rolling Eyes )
Re: Mosaic [message #11676 is a reply to message #11673 ] Sun, 11 April 2010 21:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
Magic wrote on Sun, 11 April 2010 17:34

(is a feeling or am I the only one answering my own posts ? Rolling Eyes )

i just watch your posts Wink
sorry for not replying!

i would love to see the result of the print!
Re: Mosaic [message #11686 is a reply to message #11499 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 04:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to all my models
You gave me an idea! and i too decided to use it for the co-creator contest Very Happy

http://www.shapeways.com/model/110280/3d_pencil_photo__.html

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Re: Mosaic [message #11688 is a reply to message #11686 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 06:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you guys, I feel less lonely Surprised

Jettuh, as soon as I get a print, I will post a picture, but I have not order it yet because I have done another order yesterday (in metal): part of my budget policy with Shapeways is "never two orders at the same time"... So be patient!

Dizingof, there are indeed a lot of possibilties using the 2D effects of our drawing tools - like for intance Stained glass effect, which was my initial idea. The more difficult is to get the deep information.
But that's a pity that the 3mm constraint make the models quite expensive...
Re: Mosaic [message #11694 is a reply to message #11688 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 10:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to all my models
Magic wrote on Mon, 12 April 2010 06:02

Thank you guys, I feel less lonely Surprised

Jettuh, as soon as I get a print, I will post a picture, but I have not order it yet because I have done another order yesterday (in metal): part of my budget policy with Shapeways is "never two orders at the same time"... So be patient!

Dizingof, there are indeed a lot of possibilties using the 2D effects of our drawing tools - like for intance Stained glass effect, which was my initial idea. The more difficult is to get the deep information.
But that's a pity that the 3mm constraint make the models quite expensive...

I actually use a 2 stage process.. for this co-creator.
One is a 2D transformation of a photo into a Pencil drawing , then another software to carve the contours of the face or object in the photo to add a depth to it and a 3D like effect.

see the you tube video on the link above for the depth carving.

Yes, unfortunately the 3mm restriction is expensive but based on my experience any full color printing with walls less then 3 mm will crack when you least expect..

The way to overcome this issue is to enforce the surrounding of your model with a 3 mm wall thickness yet leaving the main model with 2 mm - of course the trick is to enforce it with tiny 3 mm lines - you can see pics how i did it on my "iDock for iPhone"- full color print:
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2036&a mp;start=0&S=64dc06150ce782b5615455e2e65b980b

This trick cuts printing cost enough to offer it at a very low co-creator price..
few were sold so far in one blitz of orders... Smile

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Previous Topic:Stainless Steel Clip Ideas
Next Topic:Inverted Mime