Using Walmart/Target Debit card.

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by ShadowStorm93, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ShadowStorm93
    ShadowStorm93 Member
    Hello,

I went out and purchased a Target Debit Gift card by VISA, I noticed that I was unable to select it as a payment option.

The transaction log would pop up the order #, but the total cost is $0.00 or canceled.

Does Shapeways accept Debit Gift Card? Or just credit cards?

Is there a way that I could use the debit gift card as credit card for Shapeways?

It worked with other websites other than Shapeways (Amazon, Google, etc).

Thanks

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    HI ShadowStorm93,

I'm not 100% sure, so I've asked our financial team to come over and answer this question for you.

Cheers,

Bart

3. ShadowStorm93
    ShadowStorm93 Member
    Any updates so far? I think I will be trying moneypak this time.

4. Howdy,

I had a similar issue (on another site) with a prepaid card that my (soon-to-be) mother-in-law gave me. Unfortunately, banks govern prepaid cards differently than normal cards. With a linked bank, debit or credit card, they can adjust the transaction if there are any concerns and can refund without concern. With a prepaid card, they can often be one-off payments and the card destroyed. For this reason, anything that might require a refund or adjustment is suspended--which means a lot of transactions cannot be complete.

Further, here is what Braintree says on the subject:

"Braintree can process any card that bears a major card brand logo (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, JCB, Diners, AmEx) regardless of whether it's considered prepaid or a gift card. Banks aren't always as open-minded. Even though we can process them, this doesn't mean that the banks will allow the transactions to go through. Prepaid cards might run successfully on one-off transactions but are often declined on recurring transactions."

Here at Shapeways, we do come across the case when a model cannot be printed (though we try really hard to print them all). In such a case, the ability to refund back to the original payment method can be essential. Therefore, it may be in your best interest (despite what the bank says one way or another) to go with a more secure type of payment that will allow you to get that refund if any issues come up with your order.

Also, feel free to open up this dialogue with us here at service using the webform so we can start you in on that order. That way, we can discuss details that you might not want to discussed in an open forum.