Wednesday Wips - Dec 21th

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Andrewsimonthomas, Oct 26, 2016.

1. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Well it took me long enough to get around to doing this. Based on a knife used in a couple of episodes of an old sci-fi show that shall remain unamed. It turns out the knife design on the show began life as a letter opener before being modified by the prop department so this design should work well as a letter opener. At present it's about 10.9 inches long overall and once the matching sheath is designed it could work with cosplay outfits for officers so inclined in an alternate dimension or aliens fighting for quatloos.

It's too long for SF material options other than plain white SF so maybe it can be shortened or be split into 2 sections. I don't want the blade to be too floppy or misaligned so a one piece build would be preferable. Best of all it's not crazy expensive in plain white SF either. Under $50 probably even when solid in SF (but closer to $300 in steel which is a budget buster for most people).

Not quite done yet. The actual design will need to be reviewed for accuracy, either by reviewing old eppys on cable or photos on the web. And then it will need some smoothing of edges and other final touches. I must say that this attempt should turn out better than the foam version I abandoned before finding Shapeways!

625x465_17430437_10219445_1485332018.jpg

2. MrNibbles
    I finalized the cosplay dagger last night and put it in my shop. Added a 7.5 millimeter diameter sphere at the end for added safety and slightly rounded all the edges to de-harshen the design. Hollowing didn't make sense for this piece so I left it solid. Now it needs a matching sheath/belt holder. Something for next Wednesday I guess.

[​IMG]

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HFMGRSR2S/bodacious-blade?optionId=61788124

3. LoveAndShapes
    LoveAndShapes Well-Known Member
    At last I have some time to work on some models.
    This is going to be a pendant, meant to be printed in silver.
    I builded the base shape in Tsplines and am now experimenting with adding detail in 3dCoat.

Regards, Robert Glotzbach

SeaHorseScreenshots.jpg

4. MrNibbles
    I finally got around to working on my thermometer holder again. Reviewing a previous post I was trying to make a new shell for an old thermometer mechanism I have, basically replacing the aluminum piece with something 3D printed. I opted for a SF material with a screw together mechanism for now.

Old:
    [​IMG]

And the latest design using the second version of the screw together mechanism with an added conical dome and a hanging loop:
    710x528_18948913_11080110_1495862174.jpg

This will also need a wall bracket to hang the thing from. Unfortunately I can't find the old one so I will need to re-imagine it after many years of not seeing it, but as I recall the old one was a stylized leaf with an upside down U shaped hanging crook, if that's what it's called.

5. Attached Files:

• 18.jpg

18.jpg

File size:
      120.2 KB
      Views: