We want you - Shapeways Skillshare School

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kevinweinewyork, May 14, 2012.

1. Make one for Zbrush please, especially creating dynamesh shell or using booleans and with some words on decimation so that a complex model like a 3D game hero can be fixed up in netfabb and meshlab.

Right now a model of 40 K polygons crashes these two software.

2. ThreeForm
    ThreeForm Member
    (Aaron Trocola here, responding through the account of my new ThreeForm project)

The Zbrush hollowing method should probably start with a printable model, then make it hollow. That may be why it is crashing. Unfortunately Z-brush does not offer a free demo anymore, and I already bought a great sculpting program, so this tutorial isn't possible at the moment.

I often hear requests about converting low-poly models from games to 3D printable models, so I will do something to address that. In fact, if it is popular enough It could be held as a class.

Hollowing models, and when/how to use booleans is deep topic, so I'd like to address those issues in the context of a specific application, such as creating customized pendants or other jewelry with lettering and small parts

Thanks! That's two ideas for classes/tutorials with topics that are a good balance between general and specific.

My recomendation to anyone though, is to find out what the appropriate tools are for the job, rather than finding out what everyone else likes to use. Programs like Zbrush, Rhino, and Sketchup all use completely different approaches that ease the creation of certain types of forms. This is why you don't see people using parametric tools for character modeling or sculpting tools for mechanical design, for example.

The curriculum for my intro class, Modeling for 3D Printing, has evolved to aim squarely at this issue, since I noticed that the Q&A session at the end was often dominated by this topic.

[Edit: I have changed the title of this class from "Design for 3D Printing with Shapeways" to Modeling for 3D Printing with Shapeways" to avoid any confusion with the class Duann is holding, called "Intro to Design for 3D Printing with Shapeways" which, from what I gather, puts more emphasis on web-based Shapeways creators and a basic outline of the ideas involved. Someone who is still working to understand the concept of printing an object and creating your own shop and product will be better served by starting with the intro class.]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. Anarkik3D
    Anarkik3D Member
    With the growing interest in 3D printing and classes to get started with it Anarkik3D has set an extra 1 day 'introduction to 3D printing' course for 18th August. The focus on how, where and why, is specifically for non CAD using people. With Cloud9 being so easy to pick up it is ideal for creating a 3D model to use to understand the constraints and potential of 3D printing. 1-day-course-introduction-to-3d-printing

We can do special deals for groups of 5 and do dates to suit.

Attached Files:

4. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I vote for online webinars, of the kind that t-Splines produces (for Rhino users) and posts on to YouTube for those that can't watch live. These typically are 1 to 2 hours long.

That way it doesn't matter if you're in New York, LA, SF, Birmingham or Timbuctoo!

Glenn

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. Glenn, do you have a link to one of those webinars?

6. Hi Glenn,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I will be launching webinar versions of my classes very soon. Please stay tuned.
    Hope to see you at a future class!
    Kevin

7. lensman
    Right HERE, Marcus... links to others on the site, of course.

Glenn

8. lensman
    @kevinweinewyork - Certainly. Perhaps Shapeways can set up a separate forum for Instruction, where users such as yourself can advertise their (related) courses, and others can have questions answered...

Glenn

9. @lensman a separate forum sounds great - I bet the Shapeways crew will chime in soon.

Question: for live webinar classes, do you think certain times of day are more preferable than others? I often teach 7-9p EST in New York.

Kevin

10. Thanks for the link, Glenn.

I also like the idea of an Instruction/Education forum, for users to request topics and for teachers to advertise events, post tutorials and request feedback.

11. lensman
    @kevinweinewyork - Well that time works for me :laughing: but obviously not for everyone :( To paraphrase: You can't teach all of the people all of the time !

But that's what makes them great to view online after the fact.

Glenn