Using Text in Design

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 714734_deleted, Feb 18, 2015.

1. I like playing with text as an object. I've heard it called, "Amateur". I don't care.
    And I've played around with it a LOT in various programs.

I haven't seen anything like this on Shapeways and since text is often such an
    integral part of many designs, thought I'd add my, hopefully useful, two cents
    on the subject.

Here, for what it's worth (feel free to add to or take away) these are my opinions
    based on my experience.

There are two categories that text tends to fall into in terms of printabllity: Open and
    Closed.

(Here I'm talking capitalized letters which tend to be used more often than lower case
    for printability as there are fewer problems. Lower case letters, such as i, e, for
    example are problem letters in ways that their caps are not.)

The letters C,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y, and Z are Open letters

The letters, A,B,D,O,P,Q, and R are Closed letters.

The Closed letters tend to cause printability problems because they have inner spaces
    which can result in disconnected parts for printability.

They also don't play well when being merged with other letters as in what the apps, MyMo
    or 3D Word Flip do.

There are ways around the shortcomings of text.

What I've seen are:

1) The adding of bars either as a base or top / bottom to connect the letters. This works
    with rings, napkin holders, spiral text, such as the Napkin Ring or Statement Vase apps.

2) Pasting the letters on a base, such as a keychain, or as seen in the d3Makers app.

3) You can adjust the horizontal letter spacing so that the letters overlap.

4) Some combination of the previous three.

5) Possible boolean effects (Join, Combine, Union, etc) - the Open characters work
    better for this. Inkscape (or Adobe Illustrator, if you have it, access to it) can be useful
    for this. Try converting to a bitmap and then using Shapeways 2D - 3D app to test the
    printability. Or to create base objects for further design in your 3D software.

Capitalized, San Serif Fonts, such as Windows "Impact" font or Arial, Arial Bold work well.
    Decorative fonts or script are more problematic.

There's a useful tutorial on creating MyMo like letter combos in Blender here:

How to make Font Thingies in Blender for Shapeways
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muMX3byfJ9o

He uses the All Star Font, but, other Capitalized, San Serif Fonts may work as well.

Another method to try here might be to put the Initials on a cube: Wireframe or Solid.
    It might bypass the ugliness of mixing open and closed letters. (Think Alphabet Blocks).

Hope that helps.

There's 3D design and 3D printing. They're not the same. Hopefully this helps with
    3D design intended for 3D printing.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. cynosurex
    cynosurex Member
    Thanks for posting this helpful post. I'm new to placing text on models, so I have never heard of this "amateur" idea before, which seems shortsighted, right? Text, lettering, and logo is a integral part of branding. It seems rather useful to model the brand directly onto the product, rather than using a sticker or something along that line.

3. 3D can be as simple as text or solids: simple or complex polygons: cubes, spheres, polyhedra.

Or it can be creatures, humans, animals, aliens.

Or it can be architecture, scenery, flora, fauna.

This is just the generation.

Then you have animation, at the extreme end: Ice Age, Hero 6, How to Train your Dragon, and so on.

As well as commercial advertising.

From those perspectives, both as designers and as vendors interested in finished products: ads, movies, "text"
    is considered "amateur" in comparison. Something that's added to a scene or a product rather than an end in
    itself.

One of, if not the simplest, test programs is "Hello World". Getting code to print the phrase. Text.

The most commonly used application of all in an Office Suite, isn't spreadsheets or databases. It's
    the word processor: word - "text".

So, getting a program, 2D or 3D to print text seems a logical extension as an entry point into graphics.

Print your name, someone else's name, or a phrase and do something with it.

Immediately accessible and comprehensible.

Getting to the other aspects of 2D or 3D requires considerable more time, effort and application.

A good amount of what applies to other areas of 3D design and animation are equally applicable to
    "text". Text is no less a manipulable object in 3D space than are creatures, flora, fauna, etc. They
    can have materials, movement. They can be designed from scratch or manipulated six ways from
    Sunday. They can have "after" effects - compositing - lighting, transparency, and so on.

To me "text" isn't just something to be read. Like anything else in 3D, it's an object which can be
    manipulated.

What I've presented are the more common "printable" methods by which text is used.

"Text" as an object can easily be manipulated in OTHER equally printable means. Play with it
    like silly putty - stretch it, warp it, mash it up.

There's mathematical programs: MathMod (similar to K3DSurf - Newer) and K3dSurf by which the author demonstrates that
    text can be generated by mathematical formula:

http://abdelhamid394.blogspot.com/

Since digital comes down to 1's and 0's at it's simplest, one could argue it's ALL mathematical, but, I digress.

Kinetic Typography (Text in motion) also moves text out of the realm of JUST text:

http://www.creativebloq.com/typography/examples-kinetic-typo graphy-11121304

Not something that can readily be done PRINTABLE. Granted.

But it does involve rethinking "text" as just a static object and reimagining it as much like onamatopoeic
    words such as "hiss" and "buzz" which SOUND like their meaning, why not words that LOOK like their
    meaning: ROUND, SQUARE, TALL, LARGE, SMALL, FAT, SKINNY, EMPHASIS and so on. Bend it,
    stretch it, rotate it. Apply a material or texture. Create it from scratch to suit your purposes. Now
    THAT'S a PRINTABLE concept, within the constraints of what's possible to print.

So, that's an elaboration on the concept of "amateur" and why I think it's misguided.

Now, glad you've found my thoughts useful. Go have some fun!

(One other reason I might add for text being considered "amateur" is that, as the difference between
    amateur and professional is "amateurs" are unpaid and there isn't the market out there for those
    who dabble in text, however well crafted, as there is for the other aspects of 3D design by those
    willing to pay. Ergo, if it's something you wish to make money at, "text" is just not profitable.)

I like working with text so, I accept my level of mediocrity if you will and the subsequent consequences.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    Branding with a lot of text can be a pain with 3D printed parts because it can end up using a lot of space, and embossing/engraving rules can make it difficult to have the same font size work with all materials. I've "branded" some full color sandstone bowls on the bottom with the draw store logo and the year of design but you don't need much if any embossing/engraving with a full color process. It might make more sense to come up with as few letters as possible and/or a geometric maker's mark for "branding" 3D printed product if you think that's necessary.

But branding is probably a bit different from the main gist of this thread. Making text an integral or elegant component of a design has many more considerations, and that's particularly true for models that are personalized with text.

5. Branding, as a means of signature stamping, isn't limited to text either. A simple design may work where text doesn't.

It, also, may not have to be printed, thereby removing complexity from the process.

It could be added post process - enamel, stencil, engraving etc depending on the size and complexity of your design.

I've wasted a lot of time and effort trying to figure out how to print something that could more easily be resolved by other
    means.

6. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)

Here I tried using just about ALL the programs I have access to to create
    text on a curve (spiral). I used Blender because it would be a standardized
    process, which I already understood, regardless of the program from which the text came.

I tried:

Wings3D (Free)
    Swift3d (NOT Free)
    Sketchup Make (Free) - the text imported as separate objects which had to be joined
    Blender (Default as well as Converted (3DS), then Imported)
    Art of Illusion (Free)
    Tinkercad (Free, but, not recommended, picking letter objects one at a time, then manually
    spacing and aligning them is a PAIN to say the least) I know they can be imported from other
    programs, but, the goal here was to test NATIVE Tinkercad options.)

My best results were:

Blender Native or exported (FROM) Blender - 3DS
    Swift3D

Others looked promising but, for reasons I can't explain, didn't work well (to say the least)
    when uploaded to Shapeways. These are my results, others may have had better results.
    If so, it would be useful if they explain what they tried so that others may benefit from their
    successes.

Attempting to fix problems, I tried:

- running the exported files from Blender through Netfabb basic (Free) to
    see if that made a difference - it didn't.

- Netfabb Online (Signup - free) at:

https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/
    (STL files ONLY)

and MOSTLY uploaded to Shapeways.

Just for fun, I took some of those which just bombed on Shapeways and uploaded
    them to S-C-U-L-P-T-E-O. Sometimes where objects just fail on Shapeways, I have better
    luck (although MORE expensive) on S-C-U-L-P-T-E-O. Still if I'm going to test against different
    software, why not different 3d Printing Sources.

(P.S. I've also looked at i.m-a-t-e-r-i-a-l-i-s-e and P-o-n-o-k-o - both also MORE expensive than
    Shapeways)

Tinkercad - from within Shapeways, allows upload for printing to ALL the OTHER services I tried.

Below, I've attached screencaps of my results.

Now it could be that if I stuck with the native exports from each respective program OR
    simply attempted the same end result in each respective program (learning curves and all),
    I might've had better luck with the respective end results.

Inkscape, I could save as SVG, import into Blender, then have to convert it to a usable
    mesh and HOPE it works with Shapeways - mixed results OR I could export to bitmap
    upload to Shapeways 2d - 3d app then export it, convert it - via Netfabb (Basic) - so that it
    can be used in Blender: x3db format does not import. LOT of front end work

Gimp or other 2d graphics programs (less Photoshop OR Illustrator - neither of which I have
    or have access to, and which also have some built in means for NATIVE conversion to 3D)
    also a lot of front end work - upload to Shapeways - 2d - 3d app, convert using Netfabb (Basic),
    import into Blender... etc.

Bottom line, whether it's the software, the 3D printing service, or the end result, some
    may work better than others, and some are probably better off being avoided. Sometimes
    it's useful to experiment just to be better aware of what works OR doesn't.

Here's a post on the subject of text on a spiral (by me) for your reference at: blenderartists.org:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?357338-Text-w rapped-around-a-cylinder

So, also, hoping this helps.

P.S. Found the "Shape Generator" in Tinkercad - my bad, it's an easier way to generate text.
    There's a limited choice of fonts. Some work better than others: Arimos, Bebas for example
    and, unless I'm missing something (which I might be) for the same size as finished product by
    other means, the end results seem EXPENSIVE in comparison. Also, there's no way to adjust
    the inter-word OR inter-letter spacing of the characters - also known as "kerning".. What you
    type is what you get.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  7. InZert
    InZert Member
  8. Very nice!

9. MadAsU
    MadAsU Well-Known Member
  10. Nice! Very creative.

11. Max_Sinister
    Max_Sinister Well-Known Member
    @Everyone: Do you have experience in programming? If yes, there's a way how to solve your problem.

12. illiazhura1
    illiazhura1 Member
    Please advise new font designs in 2021. I am preparing a presentation for my project.
    Thank you!

13. anisratu67
    anisratu67 Member
    Hello! I am doing a graduation project, please advise strict fonts.

14. jackleo
    jackleo Member
    Text is an essential part of design because it serves as a communication tool. It helps convey the message you want to send to your audience and creates a connection with them. Text can also add depth to a design, giving it a narrative that is essential to its success.

[​IMG]

15. bwterrainforge
    bwterrainforge Well-Known Member
    Text is far from amateur. When I was in college design majors could take a class called Typography. The whole semester (1/2 year for tat school), you would use one word for all your assignments. At the beginning of the semester the teacher picked a theme and you had to pick a word that complied with the theme. The year my friends took the class, the theme was measurement. Imagine having to take the word "inch" and having to do assignment after assignment and you had to keep the designs fresh and interesting.

Another example bout 15 years ago I did digital scrapbooking designs. There was a trend not sure is it still popular but there were word books. Each letter in a word was a page. Think a flip book and the right edge was the right side outline of the letter. Plus most of the different companies had products that used bold san serif block font. It was all in how you decorated it.

and lastly keep in mind huge mega blockbusters who used off the shelf fonts. for example The first Avatar movie used the font Papyrus which is a free font.

So you keep doing your words If you like making them and you have sales dont worry about what others say =)

16. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
    I have incorporated text into some items I have made for myself and as gifts. I have used both Embossed and Engraved letters. I generally use Engraved because less material is used so the item is cheaper and lighter in weight. If the letters are to pierce the printed part, I use a Stencil Font.

This is a Cover that fits over my car key (the shop broke the keyring slot off of the key body) I insert the key into the large opening (upper right) so the blade sticks out the square hole (lower left). A keyring through the slots in the broad sides (upper right) traps the key in the cover. The text and scalloped holes in the sides and between the words are just to lighten the weight and along with the pierced engraved letters to reduce the cost of the material used.

Key Holder B (Custom).jpg IMG_20230919_142249938 (Custom).jpg

Below is a Sheath to hold a "Machinist's Rule" in my pocket. The rule would not stay in my pocket if I bent over and the sharp corners of the metal rule wore holes in my pocket. The Sheath has a pair of pinchers (one on each broad side) at the left end that the oval ring can slide over to clamp down on the rule to keep it in the Sheath. The pincher is thicker at the left end so that as the oval ring slides up on it, the pinchers press toward each other, gripping the rule. The oval ring is trapped on the Sheath by the pocket clip (to the right) and the short ears on the left end just past the thumb hole. The letters are a Stencil font. The picket clip is just long enough that the cross over between the two clip halves is between the two words.

Rule Pocket with clips and locking ring with rule 5a (Custom).jpg

After I had ShapeWays print it, I discovered that the pierced lettering was also handy to clean out lint and hair that gets trapped in the Sheath!

Below is both sides of a "Hair-Comb and Keeper" (the Keeper protects the Comb teeth when the comb is in a hip pocket). The Comb and Keeper are connected by sprues to lower the printing price a wee bit. The sprues are cut off, pared down flat and the Comb then fits (teeth first) into the Keeper from the top. The lettering is either engraved (on the Keeper) or embossed (on the Comb handle) and do not pierce the walls, thus no need for a Stencil font. The initials on the Comb handle can be a person's name or any text that fits (20 to 30 characters depending on which font and which letters ["i"s take less horizontal space than "W"s)! The round holes, long slots and certain details of the steam loco silhouette (window, between the wheels and the smoke puffs) do pierce the walls of the Keeper. Again, the piercing is not only to reduce the cost of the materials, but is decorative and makes it easier to clean the Keeper of lint and hair. (When I take it out of my pocket, with all those holes, people think it is a harmonica!)

Komb and Keeper 4C BAB Semper Vaporo (Custom).jpg

(Semper Vaporo is the motto of the CMBY RY... Forever Steam in action.)