Unspecified Manifold Problem

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by kay519955, Jan 23, 2020.

1. kay519955
    kay519955 Member
    Hello, I have a 3D model I'm trying to upload but every time I do I get "Automated Check Result: UnspecifiedManifold ProblemWinding Problem" and I cannot figure out why or how to fix it. If anyone does know how to help then that'd be great.
    Never mind, I've managed to fix it right after posting this :p

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. DeHeer
    DeHeer Member
    Mind telling what this problem is? I'm getting the same, and I wouldn't know where to start looking for a solution…

3. kay519955
    kay519955 Member
    I don't know what the actual issue is but I found that uploading as a .DAE file instead somehow worked, I just started going through different file types in an attempt to see if that'd get around the issue and it apparently did.

4. he6agon
    he6agon Well-Known Member
    I had a similar error with a model last year. I draw all my models full size in AutoCAD, then scale the models down and adjust anything that's too thin to print. I ended up drawing 13 variations on a railroad car in model space in full size. When I finished the full size drawings I simply scaled them down into a corner of the model world. Because of the sheer size of the prototype drawings the coordinates for each point on the scaled drawings were six or seven digits for each X or Y value, but it didn't occur to me this could be a problem.

After trying to find the errors in the model and coming up empty I exported the file to a new drawing file. When I opened it I realized the model was quite far away from the origin so I moved it closer. When I exported the .stl from this new file it uploaded without any issues. I went back to the original file and moved the scaled drawings closer to the origin to see if it made a difference. Each time I'd export the .stl files I'd have no further problems.

So, long story short, move your model as close to the origin as practical keeping all the coordinate values positive and you won't have the same error I did. I don't know if that's the problem you're having FST777, but maybe my advice is helpful.

5. DeHeer
    DeHeer Member
    Ah, I was planning to revisit this after I found the solution for my particular issue, but it must have slipped my mind! :(

As I'm completely new to designing 3D stuff to print, I followed the advise I read somewhere to always design at the scale you want to print, so I did not have the same issue as he6agon reports. After exporting my design from Blender I did open the resulting STL in FreeCAD to see if it looked sane and it did, including its location relative to origin. What I did not check at the time was if the scale was correct, and it turns out it wasn't.

Long story short: I got the error because the scaling in my STL was off a thousandfold: what was millimetres in Blender were micrometres in the exported STL. Still no clue why, other designs did not have the same issue.

Given he6agon's story, it seems like this error occurs when Shapeways can't find a suitable object to print (either by it being way to minuscule or by being out of scope). Checking the model after exporting is key, including paying attention to the units when measuring the model for size ;)

Besides FreeCAD, I used https://www.viewstl.com/ to check my exports and to figure out the solution. The corrected design (scaled up to metres in Blender, then exported again) printed beautifully! :)

6. Just ran across this forum post. I was running into the same problem models that seemed totally fine were getting the error Automated Check Result: UnspecifiedManifold ProblemWinding Problem. I was able to reproduce the error by taking two models that were printable, merging them in Blender (using a boolean union modifier), and exporting as STL. Even though both individual models were fine, I got that error when I merged them together and uploaded them. I got the same error when I exported them as OBJ.

But then I tried exporting the exact same model as a DAE file, and it worked! It checked out fine in 3D tools, and I was able to send it for printing.

I hope this helps anyone else who runs into the same problem.