Supported applications, I could use a little help

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by bartv, Feb 16, 2010.

1. I just uploaded a model from Art of Illusion (AoI) in STL format. There's also a collada plugin under development.

2. Blender is an open source program used primarily for graphics design, movies and games. But, it does export in STL, OBJ, X3D and Collada.

It is available for download at www.blender.org

3. bartv
    bartv Member
    Thanks for your input, all!

@c.ringeisen: added
    @decapod: added WRL and OBJ. Please let me know how the other file formats work for you.
    @JACANT: added
    @ccsccs7: updated
    @TGRyan: Blender is already on the list :)

Cheers,

Bart

4. bvr
    bvr Member
    Hexagons stl format works fine for me. I'll try to test some of the other formats that it supports.
    bvr

5. decapod
    decapod Member
    The STL exporter supplied with 3D Crafter works if all parts use the same material (Binary STL export) - Y and Z values are flipped

I wrote my own STL export (text format) that works for shapeways too, material independant. Available from the amabilis forums.

Paul

6. sculptris does not export stl but does export obj

wout zweers

7. bartv
    bartv Member
    @wout zweers: thanks! I've updated the page, but it may take 1-2 days before the change gets published.

Bart

8. loopingz
    loopingz Member
    Hi there,

I just give a look to Catia (V5), it looks like it has no issue to export to .STL
    I did not yet tried to send a design but it should just work fine.

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    What is Catia, exactly? I had a quick look but found all kinds of exporters that were called Catia as well. I must admit I'm a little confused :)

Thanks,

Bart

10. loopingz
    loopingz Member
    Catia is a 3D modeller by Dassault Systems.
    The currrent latest version is V6. Anyway most company use V5. In aviation (I mean ALL the biggest) it is the main design tool. It is also very used in the automotive field and a bit for ship. It can be used for nearly everything (basic part design to stress calculation, cfd, sheetmetal, molding, wire routing...) depending on the module you are using. I guess it can be important for some people that have an easy access at work for this kind of software. It is not meant to be artistic but for constrained model it can do everything!

11. bartv
    bartv Member
    Updated, thanks!

12. Ithildien
    Ithildien Member
    I do not know if anyone mentioned it yet, but I used Hexagon (currently owned by DAZ 3D).

13. bartv
    bartv Member
    Which file formats can you export from Hexagon?

Thanks!

Bart

14. STL and OBJ, if I am not wrong.

See you
    *Fuchur*

15. Ithildien
    Ithildien Member
    3DS too, and maybe another one, but it's not on the PC I'm currently using.
    Also, it's free at the moment, and very user-friendly (and localised in French): even I could manage something with it.

16. bartv
    bartv Member
    3DS max is already on the list? Or do you mean another app?

Cheers,

Bart

17. Ithildien
    Ithildien Member
    Sorry, I meant that Hexagon could convert into 3DS format.

18. bartv
    bartv Member
    Ah. Unfortunately that's not a format that we support..

19. aegidian
    aegidian Member
    Hexagon exports STL too. It's fine as a tool for modelling items for Shapeways (not my personal choice, but fine.)

20. bartv
    bartv Member
    I've updated the list, it may take a few hours before the page gets refreshed.

Cheers,

Bart